AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions wanted! :)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Opinions wanted! :)

When I started keeping discus I had a hard time accepting they would need multiple water changes per week. I had kept aquariums for over 20 years and had never done so many wc with any fish. It seemed a bit absurd. I had to learn the hard way that discus demand clean water. I lost a lot of discus needlessly before I grudgingly accepted this husbandry requirement. Now that I do the work of wc, my discus are happy and healthy. I have a BB tank, lots of filtration (fx5) and am fairly lightly stocked with only 11 discus in 180gal... when I tried 1 wc per week the discus were not happy with it. I'm currently selling off discus and lowering my stocking even further... but I bet I'll still need 2 wc per week even with just 6 or 7 adults in the tank.
    Last edited by Kyla; 09-10-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I love the look of your tank, pure and simple, but i wanted to throw my vote in for swapping out the rock for spidery branches. I had rock and other large decor in my tank but i found that debris collected under/around it too easily. If u end up experiencing this, spider wood/manzanita etc might be another option which maintains the minimalistic look while making maintenance easier.

Registered Member

Thank you! Both for the compliment AND the advice! I think what you're saying is wise. I put those in when I was thinking I would just be doing cichlids. I just told my husband the other day that I was going to do exactly what you just mentioned. 😊

Real Name
    Rob

Nice looking tank! If it were mine I would put a nice piece of driftwood in the middle and maybe a few plants. Other than that you are good to go! Make sure to post some pictures if and when you have the discus in there!
    Rob

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJDiscusGuy View Post
    Nice looking tank! If it were mine I would put a nice piece of driftwood in the middle and maybe a few plants. Other than that you are good to go! Make sure to post some pictures if and when you have the discus in there!
    Rob
    Thank you so much! My thoughts exactly! I've been looking to locate a nice piece or set of pieces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12