AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dirty Dozen

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default My Dirty Dozen

Got my juvies at last. Yesterday I went t Bologna to fetch 12 juvies born about 3 months ago by a pair bred by SG discus and raised by Federico Dall'Osso. 4 hours later they were in my tank, that I previously added with salts to bring the conductivity from 140 up to 400μS, closer to what they are used to. They are between 2" and 2 1/2", all nice and chunky with no sharp faces. For their age I think they show good morphology and already decent colouring. They readily eat microgranules and even some crushed Orijen Six Fish (cat kibble). So plenty of varied feeding and water changing ahead. Ciao

https://youtu.be/Muz3Yd7Qw98

https://youtu.be/l6G9b3KZvOk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: My Dirty Dozen

Big Congrats to you !!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Very nice!!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks and thank you all again for the knowledge and advice this forum has provided and for all the backup I will be needing now that I have got the fish for real.

Real Name
    Steve

Congratulations Paul. I would agree, nice shape and color. Looks like you got at least a baker's dozen! It's interesting to read you feed cat kibble. I wonder if that's more common in Italy than it is here in the US.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Congratulations Paul. Its great having an opportunity raising Juvies, knowing that you have some control over how they turn out. Enjoy the journey
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi, I would not say it is common over here either. It came up on a local forum (Mondo Discus), someone feeding his kitty on this posh canadian (but they also have a facility in Kentucky) cat food must have realized that the ingredients red like a dream fish food that would make the premium brands like NLS and NorthFin look like they are cutting corners. No generic "fish meal" but only selected species of fish and 2/3 of that is fresh/flash frozen and not processed to a pulp. Actually would not mind if my meals were made from those ingredents. Even considering the prrmium ingredients and the import costs it still works out a lot cheeper than avarage food for fish. I tried to contact them to see if they were interested in making it into granules but they answered it was not in their current business model. Maybe if people stateside think this argument has some merit maybe they may rethink and make us some granules (if possible with a litthe less herring and sunflower oil).
    Here are the ingredients.

Orijen

keywords
    ORIJEN SIX FISHDetermined Fritz from Tahlequah, Oklahoma.

AVAILABLE SIZES
    12 OZ / 4 LB / 12 LB
    90%
    WILD-CAUGHT FISH INGREDIENTS
    10%
    VEGETABLES | FRUITS | BOTANICALS
    0%
    GRAIN | POTATO | TAPIOCA | PLANT PROTEIN CONCENTRATES
    NEW FEATURESCOMPARISONBROCHURE
    BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE™ | FOR ALL LIFE STAGES
    NEW ENGLAND MACKEREL, HERRING, FLOUNDER, REDFISH, MONKFISH AND SILVER HAKE
    PACKED WITH FRESH, SUSTAINABLE AND WILD-CAUGHT FISH FROM NEW ENGLAND TO SATISFY YOUR CAT’S BIOLOGICAL NEED FOR A PROTEIN-RICH DIET.

Brimming with 40% richly nourishing protein, and limited to 18% low-glycemic carbohydrates to nourish cats and kittens according to their evolutionary and biological needs.

A full 2/3 of our fish is FRESH (refrigerated, without preservatives) or RAW (flash-frozen, without preservatives), including the top 6 fish ingredients.

Nutrient-dense WholePrey™ ratios of fresh whole fish (including meat, organs, and cartilage) provide virtually every nutrient your cat needs – only choline, zinc and copper are added.

Our dried fish are specially prepared at 200ºF from fresh, whole, wild-caught fish to create a concentrated source of richly nourishing protein that cannot be supplied by fresh fish alone.

Infusions of gently freeze-dried cod liver enhance flavor and palatability naturally, making ORIJEN deliciously tasty, even for fussy eaters.

MEATMATH®
    INGREDIENTS
    ANALYSIS
    FEEDING
    NATURE'S RULES
    INGREDIENTS WE LOVE FROM PEOPLE WE TRUST
    Whole atlantic mackerel, whole atlantic herring, whole atlantic flounder, whole acadian redfish, atlantic monkfish, whole silver hake, mackerel meal, herring meal, blue whiting meal, herring oil, whole green peas, whole navy beans, whole red lentils, alaskan cod meal, pollock meal, sunflower oil, whole pinto beans, whole chickpeas, natural fish flavor, whole green lentils, whole yellow peas, safflower oil, lentil fiber, freeze-dried cod liver, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, whole carrots, whole apples, whole pears, dried kelp, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, choline chloride, zinc proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

Ciao

Congrats Paul. Happy to see you finally have some fish. You have done so well in your planning and research. Wish you the best and look forward to seeing your progress.

Please do a journal and update frequently. You will regret if you don't and have to go back and try and piece of together like I did.

Take monthly pics of the fish if not weekly. Really helps to see their progress
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks for the advice, will follow it and take regular photos/videos. At the moment keeping the lights very subdued (no mire than 2%) so not to startle them into hiding behind the sponge filter all the time. As they grow accustomed to it I will bump it up to 3%, then 5 and 8% that should allow better photos/video. To all down the South East end of US stay safe and may your guardian angels be topped up on caffeine

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Slightly more passable photos taken with a camera (will try the dslr next). Light still only 5% may bump it up to 8. Waiting for the weather to go more autumnal to order some frozen food (no local retail), thinking about getting antarctic krill, cyclops, daphnia, mysis?

Very nice fish, Paul. For those interested, SG Discus also has a few YouTube of their wonderful hatchery. Their water change system is a thing of beauty.

Concerning frozen foods, frozen daphnia tends to fall apart and make a mess. Not a fan of it. Live daphnia is very good though if you can find it. There are places that sell daphnia ephippia if live is not available in your area.

Real Name
    Phil

They really look awesome! Finally, someone with pics crappier than mine!! LOL JK

Look to have a nice shape already at such a young age, you scored a nice group!!!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks for the advice, now it is up to me not to screw them up. Will give the frozen daphnia miss. Ciao

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Will try to do better as soon as i can increase the lighting, for now I keep it subdued so not to startle the babies

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

One week in and so far so good...
    https://youtu.be/2k2Pfm3Jb94

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast