Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: My Dirty Dozen

Just a video as above
    https://youtu.be/BV7z65cFK8E

Real Name
    Ralph

Paulo...Those are some very nice Clean as supposed to Dirty Discus..Lol and love to see they have very full bellies.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Cheers, I am reasonably happy with the progress so far with my first try with discus. It has been of immense help to keep it simple and follow the basic advice given on this forum: buy good quality fish all at the same time from the same origin, plenty of clean water and plenty of good food. I can always do "more complicated" once I have got the hang of it. Ciao

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

7 months old and in my tank for the last 4. All growing but obviously at different rates. One of the two smallest has had a growth spurt, he can be seen from about 2:20, he is recognisable as he has a scoliotic bump at the base of his tail, that does not hamper him one bit.
    https://youtu.be/TZf8Jt7bGrg

While for a change of scenery here is one of my mbuna tanks
    https://youtu.be/h_0RiKvohPw
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 01-08-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Beautiful!!!

Is it me or those fishes have un proportinioned small heads for their body size? Please do not get me wrong, it just does not look natural.

Real Name
    Heidi

I think they are so cute and look extremely healthy. I know some part of body shape is due to genetics but doesn't a smaller head and eyes mean they were raised well- with lots of good food and water changes? ...alternately the bigger the eyes and face, the worse they were raised?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Just the result of lots of good food (wild salmon, cod and mussels) and lots of clean water (240 liters a day) to encourage healthy growth so the body seems big compared to the size of the eyes

Real Name
    Ralph

I think your Dirty Dozen are simply 'Magnifico'
    Also love your African Cichlid tank but must have been tense when those large rocks were set inside knowing how much Africans like to move sand around.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    I think your Dirty Dozen are simply 'Magnifico'
    Also love your African Cichlid tank but must have been tense when those large rocks were set inside knowing how much Africans like to move sand around.

...Ralph
    Thanks, for the discus I am following the KISS guidelines from this forum ( buy good stock, BB, plenty of vlean water and good food). Mbunas are litterally a different kettle of fish, you just can't put enough rocks in the tank. My other tank has even bigger ones in it, they all come from the land around the house. I have trimmed their bottom flat and put the sand in last so no concern about them shifting but it was real scary putting them in as some are over 80 lb. Would not like to have to pull yhem out now they are slippery with algae (would need to use a sling). Ciao

https://youtu.be/_s6qQtFDvEw

Real Name
    Heidi

Wow that Mbuna tank is amazing and gorgeous. I love the rock. How big is it? How do you keep food from getting under the rocks and rotting? Do they eat live food or algae, something that doesn't rot?

I had colorful slate like rock caves in my koi tank. I kept lots of giant blue shrimp and several plecos in the rocks hoping they would eat any leftover food but it still collected in between crevices and rotted. I had to remove it.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-09-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    7 months old and in my tank for the last 4. All growing but obviously at different rates. One of the two smallest has had a growth spurt, he can be seen from about 2:20, he is recognisable as he has a scoliotic bump at the base of his tail, that does not hamper him one bit.
    https://youtu.be/TZf8Jt7bGrg

While for a change of scenery here is one of my mbuna tanks
    https://youtu.be/h_0RiKvohPw
    Nice work with this group Paul. Coming along nicely
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Nice work with this group Paul. Coming along nicely
    Thanks, high praise coming from you. I appreciate all the help I got/am getting on this forum.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Wow that Mbuna tank is amazing and gorgeous. I love the rock. How big is it? How do you keep food from getting under the rocks and rotting? Do they eat live food or algae, something that doesn't rot?

I had colorful slate like rock caves in my koi tank. I kept lots of giant blue shrimp and several plecos in the rocks hoping they would eat any leftover food but it still collected in between crevices and rotted. I had to remove it.
    That is a 6' but I also have a 5' with different stocking of mbunas. I feed them mostly JBL NovoMalawi flakes and blanched veggies (their favourite is cucumber)+ they obviously graze the algae. Not too messy, the two big canister filters and weekly water changes/syphoning are enough to keep on top of the muck. Ciao

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    That is a 6' but I also have a 5' with different stocking of mbunas. I feed them mostly JBL NovoMalawi flakes and blanched veggies (their favourite is cucumber)+ they obviously graze the algae. Not too messy, the two big canister filters and weekly water changes/syphoning are enough to keep on top of the muck. Ciao
    It's beautiful. Thank you for sharing and your reply.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast