ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to give Discus a try

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Default Re: Going to give Discus a try

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Do the hydor inline heaters work with the fluval ribbed hoses. That tank has a very clean look. Would look really clean without the heater and wire.
    That would be awesome. I will have to look into that. I planned on trying to hide the heater behind the return pipe, but inline outside of the tank would be way better. Great idea.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    You can change the hoses on the 406 to regular tubing (I have on both mine - just don't like the look) but I have read on various posts about the inline heaters malfunctioning and Hydor objecting if mounted other then the "plain vanilla" way, vertical by the side of the tank.
    If the Hydor inline heaters aren't reliable, I wonder if there are any other better options.

Quote Originally Posted by CheChe View Post
    If the Hydor inline heaters aren't reliable, I wonder if there are any other better options.
    I don't know if I'd say they are unreliable. I have read many posts where people have great experience. I suppose all heaters have a margin for failure. I was running a fluval e300 and aqueon pro 250 (about 4 months newer than fluval) and they both failed at the same time. Thankfully for my inkbird as well as my tank maintaining about 81º with the bad heaters. The hydor was the only heater I could get same day Amazon prime. It seems it's on less than what my other heaters were. I do have mine mounted vertically as it's suggested.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Just curious if anyone has a piece of equipment that they think every aquarist should have. Anything that is specific to discus?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Don't know about being specific for discus but given their sensitivity to temperature variation the above mentioned Inkbird 308 is a pretty good bit of kit for the cost. Keeps the temperature within a 0.3C and beeps if it strays. Setting up my discus tank I have learned both from past experience and from this and other forums. My "better safe than sorry" approach is Schego titanium heater controlled by an STC-1000 and an Inkbird on top of that. All in it comes to about $100 that is probably twice the cost of a decent heater butit gives me peace of mind

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

I will most likely use the Apex to turn the heater on and off regardless of which poses a whole different set of problems. Where do I put the temp and ph probes if I don't have a sump? I wonder if I can drill out the top of the return outflow pipe and drop the ph probe in there without too many problems. Hmm?????
    Last edited by CheChe; 09-13-2017 at 03:16 PM.

If you don't have a sump, they have to go in the tank!
    Did I mention I love sumps!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Neptune, I might have to find someone who can make me an overflow weir and move in the direction of a sump for this tank. It would definitely help solve a few problems. It would increase my volume and give me a spot to place probes and maybe even allow for a refugium.

Is anyone running a refugium on their discus tank? Is that just asking for problems?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Welcome to SD my fellow San Antonio discus keeper. Willing to assist you in getting going if needed. I have an 125G bare bottom tank with an 20G DIY sump. All my current stock came from Discus Hans, also Kenny discus have been in the tank. Either one are an good choice, just can't mix Asian with German discus.

Quote Originally Posted by CheChe View Post
    Neptune, I might have to find someone who can make me an overflow weir and move in the direction of a sump for this tank. It would definitely help solve a few problems. It would increase my volume and give me a spot to place probes and maybe even allow for a refugium.

Is anyone running a refugium on their discus tank? Is that just asking for problems?
    You can buy an external overflow like an eshopps. Obviously if you haven't started your build drilling is the way to go but external is an option.

No need for a fuge
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Ryan, the tank is already drilled. if you notice in the pics of the tank, there are two pipes: a drain and a return. The drain goes directly to a canister filter and the return comes straight from the canister filter.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Farebox, I will definitely take you up on any assistance and advice that you are willing to share. I look forward to meeting you down the road.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Cool, anytime, you can check out my setup just private message me.

can you adapt the preexisting plumbing for a sump?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    can you adapt the preexisting plumbing for a sump?
    I am a little concerned because the instructions for the aquarium say to NEVER remove the existing bulkheads. The are proprietary and the standpipes have strange gaskets because they go completely through the bulkead. I am a little reluctant to remove the bulkhead for fear of odd sized hole in the bottom of the aquarium for which I might not be able to find the correct size bulkhead.

so, I don't know...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast