AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bloat? Parasites? Bacterial Infection

Default Bloat? Parasites? Bacterial Infection

Hi,

One of my Red Eagle discus has been having a bloated stomach for almost 2 months now. See attached video below. The discus appetite has reduced but still eating. What I have observed is that it is not pooping much. When it does poop it is very small quantity.

I have tried epsom salt treatment in whole tank for over 24 hrs couple times (approx 2 teaspoons/10G). Didnt help much. Have also been feeding epsom salt soaked pellets for last week still not much improvement.

1. Should I try a epsom salt dip (1 Tbls/10G) for 1/2 hr?
    2. Does this look like bacterial infection? There is distinct pinched appearance behind the belly.

What would be best medication to handle this?

Tank 110G, Ammonia/Nitrite:0, Nitrates 5-10. WC 75% every other day. The tank is heavily stocked with 12 adult discus and 2 juvies. Feed FDBW, frozen bloodworms, discus chow pellets.

https://youtu.be/CUgU4MAsO5c

Thanks
    Sunil

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Default Re: Bloat? Parasites? Bacterial Infection

What color is the poop?

Quote Originally Posted by rickmiles View Post
    What color is the poop?
    Usual dark brown/blackish poop. Havent seen any white/slimy poop if thats what you were trying to check.

However as I mentioned, I dont see this guy pooping as much. Very little poop compared to what he is eating. Almost seems like something is blocked and backing up.

Real Name
    Rob

Have you tried Prazipro? If used as directed it will treat any parasite related infection and it will not harm your fish. You need to treat the entire tank with it. Won't hurt to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by xmas_dude View Post
    Usual dark brown/blackish poop. Havent seen any white/slimy poop if thats what you were trying to check.

However as I mentioned, I dont see this guy pooping as much. Very little poop compared to what he is eating. Almost seems like something is blocked and backing up.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Epsom salt at 2 teaspoons per 10gallons is nothing, most people dose one tablespoon per 10gallon when treating, but bad cases of bloat can handle up to one tablespoon per gallon in a dip or a container treatment. were it me, I would try treating with Epsom salt but at a dosage that is measurable. 2 teaspoons per 10gallon isn't even enough to shake a stick at.
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Epsom salt at 2 teaspoons per 10gallons is nothing, most people dose one tablespoon per 10gallon when treating, but bad cases of bloat can handle up to one tablespoon per gallon in a dip or a container treatment. were it me, I would try treating with Epsom salt but at a dosage that is measurable. 2 teaspoons per 10gallon isn't even enough to shake a stick at.
    Thanks for response. Added 1 Tbps/10G of Epsom salt to the tank today. Will monitor and see how this goes. If no effect on bloat will try last ditch effort to take the bloated discus out and do a short term 30-60 min bath with even higher epsom salt concentration.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

try the espsom salts in the food, using the fdbw instead of the pellets. Be generous with the epsom salts during the soak.