Kenny's Discus     Australian Blackworms

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Colbalt fish flake

  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    484
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Colbalt fish flake

    Hi I just bought the colbalt aquatics color fish flake I think I might of read this somewhere but my fish won't eat the blue colored flake has any of you guys had this experience with this I have only been feeding it to them for about a week but will eat all the other color flakes except the blue colored one

  2. #2
    Registered Member ssevasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Suffern, New York
    Posts
    370
    iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Sean

    Default Re: Colbalt fish flake

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    Hi I just bought the colbalt aquatics color fish flake I think I might of read this somewhere but my fish won't eat the blue colored flake has any of you guys had this experience with this I have only been feeding it to them for about a week but will eat all the other color flakes except the blue colored one
    I've heard other people say that before but when I fed the discus Hans cobalt flake that Hans included with my fish they ate everything. I'm sure they'll come around eventually. The blue flakes are supposed to be loaded with probiotics and vitamins so they probably taste bad lol. I've had the best luck with the super beef heart flake with progrowth from Bill at inlandempirediscus.com My fish go absolutely nuts for that stuff which is very unusual for discus to react that way to flake food. It's especially interesting with my discus because I feed them Al's biopigment plus FDBW cubes, super beef heart flake, Hikari bio-gold pellets, my frozen seafood mix with nori powder/progrowth/promore/lysine, Al's Planktoplus Discus Gold pellets, and an occasional hikari algae wafer disc so my fish have a very wide variety in their diet but the flakes are one of their favorites.

  3. #3
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    484
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: Colbalt fish flake

    Ok thanks figured something was weird with the blue flake because they go crazy with all the other ones but thanks for the reply I may try that super beef heart flake sometime

  4. #4
    Registered Member NJDiscusGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    45
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Rob

    Default Re: Colbalt fish flake

    Hi Matt,
    Discus are very hesitant to change. When introducing new food, you need to mix it gradually with food that they already eat. eventually they will go for it.
    Good Luck!
    Rob

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    484
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: Colbalt fish flake

    Quote Originally Posted by NJDiscusGuy View Post
    Hi Matt,
    Discus are very hesitant to change. When introducing new food, you need to mix it gradually with food that they already eat. eventually they will go for it.
    Good Luck!
    Rob
    Ok thanks for the tip appreciate it

  6. #6
    Homesteader Pardal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Atlantic Beach.FL
    Posts
    1,103
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Julian

    Default Re: Colbalt fish flake

    Flakes, are also like the chips, that we eat in the sense that they will run stale really quick. avoid buying big bags, plastic jars , the myriad bags with good seal" black ones "are way more better as light don't penetrates . I have bought good quality flakes accepted well by the fish with no acceptance in a second batch because they were already stale as you never know how long is being on the shelf, in that sense is a gamble.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

  7. #7
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    355
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Colbalt fish flake

    I think fish are like any other animal, they vary in their likes. Many people swear by one thing and yours will turn their nose up to it. Or love it and then one day stop. Mine hated cobalt flakes, but love prime reef flake. Love mysis shrimp, but hate california black worms. It's just trial and error (and some wasted money).

  8. #8
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    484
    iTrader
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: Colbalt fish flake

    Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    I think fish are like any other animal, they vary in their likes. Many people swear by one thing and yours will turn their nose up to it. Or love it and then one day stop. Mine hated cobalt flakes, but love prime reef flake. Love mysis shrimp, but hate california black worms. It's just trial and error (and some wasted money).
    ya the fish adjusted to the colbalt flake just took them a week or so but they seem to love it now

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

pic of month             AquaticSuppliers.com