ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hi there :)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Batch

Default Hi there :)

Hi everyone, my name is Dan and I am a soon to be Discus owner. My girlfriend is currently working in Malaysia and her office has a couple of really amazing discus tanks that she has shown me and I now want to get one myself. I have had cichlids before and loved them, but unfortunately I had to leave them for a while and a friend that was supposed to take care of them did not do a very good job. Now I am ready to get a new tank, new filter and most importantly some new fish.

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Hi there :)

Welcome..Since you are in the planning phase, what is your plan? Tank size? Filtration? Juvenile discus or adults? Have you checked the sponsor section here? WC schedule?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Batch

I plan to go pretty basic to start, looking at a 50 gallon tank and an Aquaclear 110. Don't know about the actual fish yet, going to make sure that the tank gets set up properly and has good levels before moving ahead. Have not checked the sponsor section, but I will soon thanks for the advice.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Have u already bought the tank? I'd recommend a 75gal minimum size tank. Plus a good heater and heater controller. How are you planning to do water changes? Have u ph-tested your tap water to see if the ph changes after a day of aeration in a bucket? It's good to know this in advance. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    Have u already bought the tank? I'd recommend a 75gal minimum size tank. Plus a good heater and heater controller. How are you planning to do water changes? Have u ph-tested your tap water to see if the ph changes after a day of aeration in a bucket? It's good to know this in advance. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to pics!
    +1
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is