AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential gill flukes or BGD disease problems

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Potential gill flukes or BGD disease problems

A little update .
    I'm done with the 2 salt dips performed 12 hours apart with discus placed in new sterile environment after the dips .
    Here is a video from them in my 20G QT tank , after the first dip , while my display and equipment are sterilizing :

Needles to say , they were pretty wasted and burned after this intense treatment and I let them recover for 1 day afterwards in the darkened and a sterile display tank .
    Day after that they were eating BH with gusto, but this joy only lasted for a day . Today we are back again with the same food refusal and noneating .
    Clamped fins condition along with 1-2 broken scales here and there , havent changed after the dips too .
    I've lowered back the temps. to 84 F again and remove the salt levels from the water .

I'm planing to put back my plants and decor in the tank again(After bleaching them ofcourse), maybe add some sand for my enjoyment too ,call it a day with all the treatments for a while and let them in God's hands .
    I'll keep on reporting the progress here, whatever that progres may be .
    Last edited by Filip; 10-02-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

This last 12 days since my last update the things with appetite went from bad to worse so out of desperation i guess ,I have tried the 7 day course with Nifurpirinol (Furan 2 ) to rule out bacterial issues .

That didn't helped much I guess, and now 3 days after the end of ( furan 2 based med. ) treatment they have exhibited the symptoms of rough skin again and oddly burned out fins .

Here is a video and photo of their evenly burned out fins and their rough skin when seen from the right angle :

Photo:
    image-0-02-04-c4e30e618a1673fa0b03a00c5a8f6b5d90c592a8a01829410edf9b620c5aa4b9-V.jpg

Videos :

On top of all this I spot 2 of them this last 2-3 days expelling white "Hex like " feces .

My questions :

1. Should I salt dip for this rough skin and burned fins , or do I risk an additional burning on their Already burned fins with performing salt dips ?

2. Should I perform metro treat because Ive spot white "hex looking " feces or will I kill them with adding another treat on them after a ton of treatments I've performed on them so far ?
    Last edited by Filip; 10-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

New symtom on 2 of them . Some odd looking blisters and white patches on their faces .

Photo :

IMG__201710287__033814.jpg

Video :
    Last edited by Filip; 10-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Hi folks .
    I wanted to update this thread for consistency and experience and plus because a few members PMed me during the whole ordeal asking what happened and how it ended .I wanted to indulge their concerns and curiosity too .

After not having the success with my latest addition of "Furan " based medication I went completely hopeless and decided to put the decor back in and just wait out what happens next.
    They were having the above described symtoms of burned fins , blisters on the head like on the video and on top of that , a white hex looking poop and a total loss of appetite.

10 days after resting from Furan I administered a 10 day Metronidazole treatment as my last resort for non eating and white poop in some of them .
    Once the 10 day metro and temperature treat was over , they were still without any appetite for a week or two , I totally gave up on them , figuring out where to go next with my new fish and set up once they are done ...... And that's when they started pecking and eating again .
    This "come back from dead" experience happend around the beggining of November , after a 2 months of total ordeal and noneating and 4 months since their first symthoms of scraching that started in July .

Did meds helped them or which medication in particular helped them I will never know TBH .

When all this was over , I was left with many question marks hanging above me , and two conclusions to carry with me as a experience :

The first one is a wise thought from the famous Greek philosopher Socrates who said " I know now , that I know nothing " at least when it comes to discus .

And the second one and the most important for me is "Never write off a discus fish, not even if it looks dead. Give it a couple of days and it may revive again " .

Here they are now , swimming and eating happily in the new environment with plants and a bit of sand again , and I'm I happy camper again, feeling regretfull that I have lost their maximal growth potential but yet very happy to still have them with me in my tank.For more pics and info about them , visit my tank journal thread following this link ( http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...08#post1282008 )

Attachment 114163
    Last edited by Filip; 02-05-2018 at 02:03 AM.

Real Name
    Shari

What a complete turnaround in these guys! I’m happy that they made it and that the anxiety for you about their Ill health has calmed.

Glad it was a Happy ending Filip!! They look very happy now.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by kalawai View Post
    What a complete turnaround in these guys! I’m happy that they made it and that the anxiety for you about their Ill health has calmed.
    Thanks for your kind words of support Shari.
    I wanted to share and complete my ill experience with them in order to show that even after 4 months of struggle with diseases they can pull it out of there with proper care . A new experience for me and another test for their endurance and resistance.
    Last edited by Filip; 02-05-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Glad it was a Happy ending Filip!! They look very happy now.

al
    Thanks Al.
    You have pointed me in the right direction right from the start , so im very thankfull for that .
    I guess all of my daily large WCs , salt dips and other medications did help their immune systems to some extent and In the end they have done the rest of the job healing on them selves .
    This last 3 months they look, feed and act as if nothing ill has ever happened to them .
    Last edited by Filip; 02-05-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

I am so happy that after all those heartache and knock backs you endured the story is a happy ending one ,i am going through an experience very similar to yours myself and stories like yours gives me hope to go forward ,BTW thanks for the PM yesterday,like you said looking at their photos you never think that they have gone to hell and back ,they just swim and look happy like nothing has happened .

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    I am so happy that after all those heartache and knock backs you endured the story is a happy ending one ,i am going through an experience very similar to yours myself and stories like yours gives me hope to go forward ,BTW thanks for the PM yesterday,like you said looking at their photos you never think that they have gone to hell and back ,they just swim and look happy like nothing has happened .
    Thanks for your support Sayid.
    I wish you good luck with your sick discus and I encourage you to never give up and give them the best treat your time and money can afford .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12