AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 125 Filtration Question

Registered Member

Default 125 Filtration Question

I currently have a non-drilled 125 for my discus. I have a Fluval FX6 and hauling this thing out of the cabinet regularly has become a real PITA! I know some use the valve at the bottom to empty most of the water before taking the beast out but I'm considering a different direction all together with a drilled tank.

I only have experiences with drilled tanks in reef aquariums so I was curious what the pros use for filtration in a drilled discus tank. I've never really been a fan of the wet-dry setups so hopefully not everyone is saying that LOL

Thanks for the input!

Default Re: 125 Filtration Question

Quote Originally Posted by *HOVA* View Post
    I currently have a non-drilled 125 for my discus. I have a Fluval FX6 and hauling this thing out of the cabinet regularly has become a real PITA! I know some use the valve at the bottom to empty most of the water before taking the beast out but I'm considering a different direction all together with a drilled tank.

I only have experiences with drilled tanks in reef aquariums so I was curious what the pros use for filtration in a drilled discus tank. I've never really been a fan of the wet-dry setups so hopefully not everyone is saying that LOL

Thanks for the input!
    A freshwater sump can be very simple. Some good mechanical filtration and lots of bio media is all you really need. I just built my first sump and used poret foam for the mechanical. I plan on utilizing all of the matrix and substrat pro from my canister for my bio chamber. I did build a wet/dry section into mine but it's all personal preference. The beauty of a sump is all the options for customization.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

If your tank is already drilled you are 3/4 of the way home!

I, like Ryan, love sumps, but I don't do wet/dry. I just glue in baffles in a tank, they are spaced to the proper width to hold the poret foam I am going to use, and then plumb it up, throw in a return pump and you are off and running.
    As Ryan says, they can be that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    If your tank is already drilled you are 3/4 of the way home!

I, like Ryan, love sumps, but I don't do wet/dry. I just glue in baffles in a tank, they are spaced to the proper width to hold the poret foam I am going to use, and then plumb it up, throw in a return pump and you are off and running.
    As Ryan says, they can be that simple.
    And give yourself some space for heaters and any other equipment that you want to get out of the tank
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Kevin

I run a herbie style drain that goes down to my sump. I use filter socks at the end of the 4 drains and then fill the rest of the chambers with bio-media, heaters, sensors, etc.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

I have a 125 tank and 2 big canisters , i use one prefilter sponge on the intake tube of each canister and i clean them once every 3 days or so ,it takes a minute to take it out and squeeze it and put it back ,as the result i only need to clean my canister every 4 month .even then when i open it it's pretty clean ,give a try.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Sump it up!!

Mine is just 29 gallon tank with pond matrix in the sump intake side then three pieces of poret, cut to size horizontally then the return section with heaters. Super simple, and in my opinion very effective. I also have a sponge for a sponge filter floating around the intake side so I have something to put into a hospital tank if the occasion arises.

Registered Member

After going from a canister to a sump, I wouldn't go back. So much easier to service. I too have a wet/dry, but that's because it came with the tank. If I had a choice, would look into the slim line overflow boxes that mount on the back or the Custom Aquariums overflow and go that route. There are dozens of Youtube videos on this. It was a bit daunting to me at first with the thoughts of water leaking everywhere, but I did my research and it was easy. One thing though, make sure your tank isn't tempered glass where you plan to drill.