ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Softening Water - API Water Softening Pillows

Registered Member

Default Softening Water - API Water Softening Pillows

Hi all - I'm new to this so bear with me. I have been keeping tropical fish for a while now, and want to get into keeping discus. I know that Discus are more sensitive, so I'm concerned about my water hardness.

I've already started the tank, with some tank mates that I plan to keep with the Discus in the future. It is also a planted tank.

*note* All things considered - I would like to avoid buying an RO unit at the moment if I can.

That being said - my water hardness is about 200 to 250ppm.

I am thinking about getting a couple API water softening pillows and putting them in my canister filter. I have some drift wood already that I'm going to put in the tank.

Does anyone have any experience using these? Do they work well? Will they be harmful and should I avoid them all together?

Thanks!

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Default Re: Softening Water - API Water Softening Pillows

The amount of money you will spend on replacing softening pillows over time will justify you buying a small 50gpd RO unit. The pillows don't work on large amounts of water and wear out quickly. Especially with the amount of water changes you should be doing with discus.

Registered Member

Why are you worrying about the water hardness? Didn't think that really matters with Discus. At least what I have read.

Registered Member

Don't use them. You'll just end up stressing your fish to death. Those regenerate with salt I've used them but dropping the water hardness daily like that is just no good for your fish. Stability is the key here I've raised and had discus breed in ph8.3 and hardness as high as you have no problems. Playing with the water chemistry daily will make you fail in your endeavor
    Remember STABILITY

Definitely don't use them. They have been around forever, but honestly will not work for you if you plan on changing anywater. Ro water filters are very inexpensive if you need to remove minerals but I would just use your tap water at this point.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I mix RO and tap and aim for a TDS of ~150 ppm. My tap water is up around 450 and was leaving massive crusting around the rim of my tank. At 200 - 250 ppm your water is likely fine without softening or RO.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

I have hard water here in Albuquerque, 150+ ppm and my discus dont seem to mind use tap with prime