AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: HELP! White spot on fin!

Registered Member

Exclamation HELP! White spot on fin!

Hello,

Im new in discus, so short story:

Yesterday I bought 6 discus juveniles. Today I saw that one of them have white spot on his fin, and other one 3 small spots on his tail. My aquarium cycled its about one year old (2 German blue rams, 5 rhodostomas, 5 corydoras). Temperature 86 F (30C). Nitrate ~5, Nitrite 0, GH >14, KH ~8, pH ~7.2. Filtration 1 external filter and one internal. Im doing regular WC ~15-20% per day. Fish eating well.

21682439_1674602522552386_1305804487_o.jpg

My one friend recommended to me buy JBL Ektol Fluid, he said that is bacterial. Another one said thats not a problem, I need some time and some WCs. I dont want to do tests with my aquarium with medicaments because of disbalance my aquarium ecosystem...

Any advices?

Thank you.

Registered Member

Default Re: HELP! White spot on fin!

And I dont know its normal sharp tail or not?
    21706457_1674903182522320_624264429_o.jpg

Start with increased water changes. What size tank are these guys in? For proper growth you are going to want to be changing in the 50%+ range daily most likely.

Give us more info on your tank stats
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Thank you for answer!

55 gal, I added yesterday a new substrate, because the tank was BB and now Im thinking about BB tank... I mean I think now that I made a mistake...

What about tail sharpness its normal? or its bacterial or fungus?

Have you tested for ammonia? You have just added a large bio load to your tank and it will take some time for your BB to catchup.

If you are trying to grow out juvies BB is preferred for optimum growth. A thin layer of sand can be ok but I would stay away from gravel.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Have you tested for ammonia? You have just added a large bio load to your tank and it will take some time for your BB to catchup.

If you are trying to grow out juvies BB is preferred for optimum growth. A thin layer of sand can be ok but I would stay away from gravel.
    No, I dont have ammonia test now. It could be overload. Because tank was in very light bioload (few fish). I put every day with WC easy life filter medium benecifial bacteries-conditioner.

What I should do without big water changes?

And as I asked about tail. Its normal? or its too sharp? I dont know because they are my first juveniles discus.

Real Name
    Mervin

[QUOTE=Buzas;

What I should do without big water changes?
    [/QUOTE]

Just sit back and watch them get sicker!!!!Seriously,your not changing enough water;not even for adult discus.

Real Name
    Mike

Get rid of the gravel, 50% water changes daily for 2 weeks. 1 tbsp of salt per 10 gallons of water. Replace salt removed during water changes. 50% water change every other day after that.