AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Lighting

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Batch

Default LED Lighting

Hey everyone, thanks for accepting my request onto this forum. I love Discus and I never would have imagined that there would be somewhere this dedicated to them.

I have been wanting to brighten up my tank for a while and I always circle back to the idea of LED strips or tube lighting. Every time I think of it however I always manage to convince myself that they would be really bad for this fish, even thought there are tons of reputable companies selling them. I am assuming that there is a difference in the light put out by the strips for aquariums compared to the every day use LED strips but I really don't know for certain and the 16 year old in the pet shop by me was no help.

What are some good LED lighting solutions that I can look at that would not be harmful to the fish in any way? Is there some aquarium LED lighting that is not going to harm the fish but still let you see everything inside the tank? To clarify, right now the tank is not filthy or dark but I think it could look brighter, I have seen some picture of some really well lit up tanks and I want to do that with mine. Thanks for all the advice/tips!

Silver Member

Default Re: LED Lighting

Real Name
    Kevin

This is what I use, having the remote is a nice feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-S...atellite+fresh

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Batch

Thanks guys, I will be sure to check those both out. I really like the remote, it would save on me getting my hands wet so often!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

+1 for the aquatic life edge, I've got two now.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I also love the Aquatic Life Edge, I have the 36" lighting system and really like both the colour difference and the fade feature so that the lights turn on/off gradually, instead of super bright light blasting on all at once which would often startle my discus. Here's a before/after pic of the tank - the right side is the Aquatic Life Edge.

IMG_0630.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post

+1 here... I have this guy and love it. I got it on kens fish though at a much better price I believe, may want to check there/

Registered Member

While the above are certainly good options. I've been using my Beamworks led strips for a couple of years now. I got the optional timer for them. They don't have all the fancy programs and such, but they are half the cost.

Does anyone know the major differences between the current satellite and the current satellite plus pro? Just wondering because it's a big price difference. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    Does anyone know the major differences between the current satellite and the current satellite plus pro? Just wondering because it's a big price difference. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Mark
    I have the satellite plus pro on my planted tank and love it wish I had it on my discus tank. I believe it has more option for customization but not sure the specifics. I like the fact you can set the daylight spectrum and moonlight spectrum separately and the 15 min fade in and out for sunrise/sunset

I have two finnex fixtures on my discus tank and really like them. I would definitely recommend the satellite pro plus though.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I have the satellite plus pro on my planted tank and love it wish I had it on my discus tank. I believe it has more option for customization but not sure the specifics. I like the fact you can set the daylight spectrum and moonlight spectrum separately and the 15 min fade in and out for sunrise/sunset

I have two finnex fixtures on my discus tank and really like them. I would definitely recommend the satellite pro plus though.
    Thanks Ryan! I took your word for it and ordered the satellite plus pro. Got a good deal..... 25% off at Drs l. Foster & smith ��

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    Thanks Ryan! I took your word for it and ordered the satellite plus pro. Got a good deal..... 25% off at Drs l. Foster & smith ��
    Nice. I got mine on Amazon. I love it on my planted. Wish I had gone that route with my discus tank
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel Batch

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusFishcus View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks for accepting my request onto this forum. I love Discus and I never would have imagined that there would be somewhere this dedicated to them.

I have been wanting to brighten up my tank for a while and I always circle back to the idea of LED strips or tube lighting. Every time I think of it however I always manage to convince myself that they would be really bad for this fish, even thought there are tons of reputable companies selling them. I am assuming that there is a difference in the light put out by the strips for aquariums compared to the every day use LED strips but I really don't know for certain and the 16 year old in the pet shop by me was no help.

What are some good LED lighting solutions that I can look at that would not be harmful to the fish in any way? Is there some aquarium LED lighting that is not going to harm the fish but still let you see everything inside the tank? To clarify, right now the tank is not filthy or dark but I think it could look brighter, I have seen some picture of some really well lit up tanks and I want to do that with mine. Thanks for all the advice/tips!
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys! I ended up ordering a couple different light systems to try out, most places had pretty good return policies so if I don't like them then I just send it back

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post

I used those as well for 2yrs. Amazon price is the standard price. If you look at several of the online places it goes on sale for as low as 70$. I bought both mine at drsfostersmith.com at that price. 100% love them.

Real Name
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Nice. I got mine on Amazon. I love it on my planted. Wish I had gone that route with my discus tank
    What kind of plants are you keeping? I have a few plants in my discus tank, (various swords and a bit of rotalla), and I would love to switch over to LED, just wasn't sure if it would be enough light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast