ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Live black worms

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Default Live black worms

Who feeds them and what are the risks?

Default Re: Live black worms

I will be ordering some soon because I have 3 week old Discus fry. I get mine from Dan and have never had a problem. Bad problems can arise if they don't come from a good supplier and if you don't rinse them well every day. I used to feed them to all my fish but I can't afford them anymore and adult Discus do well on less expensive foods. IMO they are the perfect food for great growth and healthy fish. Even when the babies are too small to eat a whole one, they pick at them all day until they are all consumed.

There are lots of opinions out there. That is mine.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ralph

Frank...your going to get mixed thoughts...some good some bad. I used them several times without issues where my Discus and Angels went nuts for them.
    I have since turned to FDBW and have various white worm cultures to play it on the safe side.
    If your going to plunge into live BW...try a small amount from a reputable source and daily rinsing is a must.
    To sum up your original question...there is always a 50/50 risk.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Thank you, mine come from a LFS that feeds them to the discus they sell. My tangs love them, but not many problems in salt water.

Real Name
    Ralph

The only other issue I forgot to mention is feeding solely live BW may discourage them talking other foods that may offer better or more nutritional values.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    The only other issue I forgot to mention is feeding solely live BW may discourage them talking other foods that may offer better or more nutritional values.

...Ralph
    You are absolutely right. No single food contains everything the fish need.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

probably one of the best food for your fish in my opinion. been feeding for 10+ years. never had a problem. some people swear from blackworms giving their fish diseases or getting them sick and avoid them at all cost. black worms are my fish main diet along with other food of course. but blackworms are the staple. i go thru about 1lb every 3 weeks. just make sure u get them healthy and take good care of them. i keep mine outside and change water every other day or whenever i start seeing the water a lil cloudy. thats my experience with blackworms