AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Damaged top fin

Registered Member

Default Damaged top fin

Can someone tell me what causes the top fin rot on my two discus. See photos attached. Attachment 112560
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Damaged top fin

You might want to start with salt at 1 tbsp per 10g and clean water. Looks like you got a good start with your setup. If it gets worse, you may want to pull the fish and apply some antibacterial and trim the dead fins.

Real Name
    Phil

You may also want to look into trimming the dead flesh. There have been some tutorials and success stories here. I believe that when it is like that the infection or dead tissue needs to be treated in order for new to grow... could be wrong and maybe someone experienced here can help you because I never did it to a fish...

Do you see it in any other fish or on any other fins or just the top there...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    You may also want to look into trimming the dead flesh. There have been some tutorials and success stories here. I believe that when it is like that the infection or dead tissue needs to be treated in order for new to grow... could be wrong and maybe someone experienced here can help you because I never did it to a fish...

Do you see it in any other fish or on any other fins or just the top there...
    Nope, only the top fins on my two discus. See where I position the heater? Could it be possible that they got burnt by the heater when they were spooked and hid beneath the heather?

Real Name
    Mike

If that is the case, move the heater to the tank bottom or place it at an angle on the back wall. Either way, you still should treat the fin if it gets worse. If it was burnt, it is still damaged and could get infected. If it doesn't get better with clean water and salt, you may have to do something further.