ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Headstanding

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Headstanding

Hi. I've had a couple discus have headstanding issues over the 2+ years i've been in the discus hobby. One after i didn't quarantine good enough when mixing my Asians & Germans. And now it happened again after i used metro & raised the heat. I now have read that raising the heat too high could have caused it. Is this true? It's been a week & he's still doing it. He eats & swims around but swims awkwardly trying to keep his head up. The first one never cured on his own & this one doesn't seem like he's coming around anytime soon. I have used a needle on a flowerhorn once to it's swimbladder & it worked. But he had a buldge on his side to deflate. These discus don't appear to have this problem, so not sure if a needle will do much
    Anybody ever cure a headstanding discus through meds or something else? Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Re: Headstanding

I really wish there was some sound advice for this problem out there for the good ol discus fish. After researching online for cures & posting here, apparently there is none. So i took a stab at it literally and wacked him with the needle a couple times to deflate the swimbladder. It seemed to have done the trick. No more headstanding.. but now constant belly standing. This might be permanent it looks