AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I messed up...Need help

Registered Member

Default I messed up...Need help

A little background.....I have had an established tank running for about 5 months with discus all bought at one time. Last Sunday 9/9 I decided to pick up 5 more discus. I started a separate quarantine tank for them in a 30 gallon. Long story short I did not cycle that quarantine tank correctly and my fish were subjected to ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Their fins were burning away and within a week they were about to perish. On 9/16 in a panic to save the dying fish, I put the fish into my main tank's sump. Good news, I was able to save 2 fish for now. Bad news, whatever my new fish had with them they gave to my establish fish. They are all sick.

Yes...I know I messed up. I was kicking myself in the butt for a few days but now I need to save these fish.

Please guide me on which medication to use or any at all.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Within 2 days of putting new fish with old fish (9/18)...I noticed some of the fish not acting normal. They stopped eating as well.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Some fish turned dark, clamped fins. Some definitely have white patches on body and tail. 2 or 3 have bounced back today 9/21 and show interest in food again.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I contacted the sponsor that I received the fish from and was recommended I do a big water change ever 12 hours. I've been adding 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons per instructions.

I was also instructed to try to dose acriflavine but I have not yet. Wanted to run this buy the people here first.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

80 gallon main with 30 gallon sump. 7 established fish and 2 new fish. Only 1 fish is around 6 inches the rest are around 4.5.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Been doing 2 big water changes daily since 9/18.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

5 months tank has been running. bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Do not age water.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____84

- ph ____7.6_

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading __10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___100%_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Yes.....2 new fish without proper quarantine on 9/16.

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Before, fed fish 3 times daily. morning flakes, afternoon beefheart, nighttime blackworms

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I have not figured out how to add pictures yet. Once I figure it out I will do so immediately.

Registered Member

Default Re: I messed up...Need help

Update.

I ended dosing the acriflavine starting Thursday night 9/21. The second dose per instructions is set to end tonite. As of today the casualties from the established tank has been 2 with 3 fish still looking stressed and sick. 2 are looking ok and swimming pretty normal. I plan on trying an antibiotic like Furan 2 if I don't see any improvements.

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: I messed up...Need help

You may want to look at a salt bath/dip. You could also use PP bath/dip. Formalin (quick cure) may be a 3rd option.