AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fish Have Shipped Water Not Ready Yet...Help!

Registered Member

Default Fish Have Shipped Water Not Ready Yet...Help!

Hi all, I have been doing a fishless cycle on my new fish room 420 gallons for the past 4 weeks. My ammonia drops to zero in less than 12 hours after dosing but my nitrites and nitrates are through the roof. I have 4 sponge filters and a 55 gallon wet/dry filter that have been running since I started the fishless cycle, and I have 12 - 3 inch discus on their way that should be here by the end of the week. Should I do a large water change?

Thanks...Peter

Default Re: Fish Have Shipped Water Not Ready Yet...Help!

Peter,

my advice would be to do a 100% water change just before the fish arrive and then control the water quality by performing large daily water changes until the parameters stabilize at NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <20ppm. Supplement with Seachem Safe or Prime to neutralize any remaining build ups during that time. I'm sure others will have more and better ideas. Be mindful of the amount of food you are feeding and siphon off any left-overs and waste.

Good luck! I've been in your shoes and this worked well for me.

JC

Default Re: Fish Have Shipped Water Not Ready Yet...Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jandiscus View Post
    Peter,

my advice would be to do a 100% water change just before the fish arrive and then control the water quality by performing large daily water changes until the parameters stabilize at NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <20ppm. Supplement with Seachem Safe or Prime to neutralize any remaining build ups during that time. I'm sure others will have more and better ideas. Be mindful of the amount of food you are feeding and siphon off any left-overs and waste.

Good luck! I've been in your shoes and this worked well for me.

JC

You don't need to do anything more than is outlined above.