AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time tap water had bad effect on Discus

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default First time tap water had bad effect on Discus

Hi all,

I've been keeping Discus for over a year now and never had a problem using my tap water, which in my area comes from a desalination plant.

This past Wednesday night my daily WC (80% nightly for past three weeks) made my 15 Discus dash around and then all go to the top gasping for air. My WC was almost done when I noticed this. I'm absolutely sure my usual dose of Safe was added. I quickly added more Safe (full teaspoon this time) they appeared to start feeling better. I added salt, and put lights out. The next morning they looked calm, but they were skittish and none were eating.

I'd been doing 80% WC nightly the last three weeks since I got these new 15 from Wattley's, because the tank (180gal) & sump/hoses were sterilized prior to receiving the new Discus. The last three weeks prior to Wednesday night all Discus have been very happy with the WC, and all healthy and eating well.

I've ruled everything else out besides the possibility that my water company must have added something to the water which is causing this. I've now cut down to 40% daily WC and using 3/4 teaspoon Safe. Up until last night my Discus are still skittish and not eating.

Unless my tap water suddenly improves (I'm crossing my fingers) I realize I would need to start aging my water. This is something I know I will not do long-term, though I might do it in short-term just to save them from dying.

I'm not really looking for answers here since the situation is pretty clear to me. Just wanted to get my experience out there I guess.

Thanks,
    Kenny
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 09-30-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: First time tap water had bad effect on Discus

Update: just completed feeding & 40% WC (tap water) using 3/4 teaspoon Safe:

Most fish appear calm though 2 or 3 are still skittish and darted a couple times. Six of the fifteen fish ate today, but not as much as usual. All fish appear healthy with good color and no signs of turning dark or frayed/damaged fins.

Real Name
    Willie

You should call the desalination plant to ask if anything has changed. Conditioning the water is always a good idea.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You should call the desalination plant to ask if anything has changed. Conditioning the water is always a good idea.

Willie
    I thought about doing that but I doubt I'd actually find out anything. Not like in the US where it's properly regulated and public knowledge. I might try next week anyway.

Real Name
    Mervin

Question about your desalination plant water.Is the water the same as distilled water?That could cause issues if it is.Just curious here.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Question about your desalination plant water.Is the water the same as distilled water?That could cause issues if it is.Just curious here.
    Hi Mervin:

The plant uses reverse osmosis on salt water, then adds chlorine, sodium hydroxide and zinc orthophosphate according to their literature.

Real Name
    Mervin

So,do you remineralize your discus water?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    So,do you remineralize your discus water?
    No but now I'm thinking it might be a good idea. I plan on contacting the desal plant on Monday to try and find out what else they add back to the water, and see if my LPS has any RO Right. Thanks for your question on this.

I'm in close contact with a long term Discus keeper here and she uses well water exlusively, which in most areas here would be considered 'Brackish water'. The specific area she lives in the mineral content of the well water is much lighter and apparently suits Discus quite well. I have a well but my water is very Brackish unfortunately.

I know I could mix in some of my well water with my tap, but this is more complication than I really want to deal with.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Update: four days after incident on Wednesday: just put food in and about half are eating but not with the same gusto as they were prior to incident. None are skittish, which is good. So an overall improvement.

You might consider collecting rain water for your WC.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You might consider collecting rain water for your WC.
    Hi Liz, thanks for the suggestion I do appreciate it, but honestly if I need to do this then I'm done. I really like the beauty of Discus but they may simply not be for me.

EDIT: this was my fifth group I ordered and I believe this will be my last. I've done so much more than I anticipated coming in to the hobby, but if I really can't do what is needed then I realize that might be the case. With an important job and a growing family there's a limit I see I can do.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-01-2017 at 07:02 PM.

You can come back to discus when the time comes.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You can come back to discus when the time comes.
    Liz, I hear you on that point. We'll see how it goes with this group, after WC tonight they looked even better so keeping my fingers crossed nothing serious is wrong with my water.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-01-2017 at 10:28 PM.

I hope that your water is good for the fish now.. It must be hell having to depend on a water source you can't totally trust Lets hope that that was just a rare unexpected event and won't happen again. If it does, keep the rain water mixed with tap thing in mind.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mike

The exact thing happens to me so I stick to about 50% WC. I believe its dissolved gasses in the lines. Gasping at the surface is from suffocation which could be from Ammonia in the water, chlorine, nitrites or CO2. If it only happens during WC from tap, aged water is the only way to go so you can treat the water for 24 hours before adding. Use cooler water also because warmer water has less dissolved oxygen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast