AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time tap water had bad effect on Discus

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: First time tap water had bad effect on Discus

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I hope that your water is good for the fish now.. It must be hell having to depend on a water source you can't totally trust Lets hope that that was just a rare unexpected event and won't happen again. If it does, keep the rain water mixed with tap thing in mind.
    Hi Liz,

Yes I hope so too.

I've been looking at some RO/DI units and thinking about how it would work in my home. Regarding the rainwater, I used to have a 1200gal container in my yard which I setup to collect rainwater from my roof. Did this years ago I suppose just to see it work but didn't have any use for it at the time so I junked it.

Only the RO/DI option would work for me in terms of practical use in my home, since I could have it professionally installed in my garage with a large holding tank and pipe w/pump to my aquarium. I'm sure this could be done. But it would take some time to implement so I don't see it immediately helping my current group of Discus. I look forward to it in the future though.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    The exact thing happens to me so I stick to about 50% WC. I believe its dissolved gasses in the lines. Gasping at the surface is from suffocation which could be from Ammonia in the water, chlorine, nitrites or CO2. If it only happens during WC from tap, aged water is the only way to go so you can treat the water for 24 hours before adding. Use cooler water also because warmer water has less dissolved oxygen.
    Hi Mike:

Thanks for writing this. I know chlorine, etc., can be gassed off in about 24hours using a powerhead, but I wonder if these other chemicals in my water (sodium hydroxide and zinc orthophosphate) can be gassed off the same way?

Kenny

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Our city is experimenting with adding sodium hydroxide to our water supply to raise the ph and prevent lead from the old pipes from leaching into our drinking water. We have another couple town hall meetings coming up this year before they finalize their plans, so it hasn't started yet, but when I first heard of it I was REALLY worried because it is going to raise our ph to 9.4-9.6 range, which is very high....

I had great help (chemistry-wise) from this forum and we figured out that simple aeration with an air stone allows the c02 in the atmosphere to bind with the sodium hydroxide and it precipitates out as a tiny bit of salt (or something to that effect) and the ph drops back down to a stable resting level which is more appropriate. I obtained a water sample containing sodium hydroxide from the city and confirmed these results by testing the ph and aerating it over night. Here are pics of the results:

Water sample with sodium hydroxide BEFORE aeration (you can't really tell from the colours in the pic but it is darker than the darkest ph level):
    IMG_0695.JPG

Water sample with sodium hydroxide AFTER approx 18hrs aeration:
    IMG_0696.JPG

So I set up a 150gal holding tank and prepped for aging/aerating/heating my water and I have been using it in the meantime even tho the chemical isn't being added yet and the fish are super happy (and my water changes are way more efficient).

So if you already have sodium hydroxide being added to your water supply you may want to test your tap water before and after aeration to see if you have a ph swing going on (if you haven't already done this). If you do have a ph swing, then it would be a good idea to age/aerate your water before water changes to keep the ph in the tank stable.
    Last edited by Kyla; 10-02-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    Our city is experimenting with adding sodium hydroxide to our water supply to raise the ph and prevent lead from the old pipes from leaching into our drinking water. We have another couple town hall meetings coming up this year before they finalize their plans, so it hasn't started yet, but when I first heard of it I was REALLY worried because it is going to raise our ph to 9.4-9.6 range, which is very high....

I had great help (chemistry-wise) from this forum and we figured out that simple aeration with an air stone allows the c02 in the atmosphere to bind with the sodium hydroxide and it precipitates out as a tiny bit of salt (or something to that effect) and the ph drops back down to a stable resting level which is more appropriate. I obtained a water sample containing sodium hydroxide from the city and confirmed these results by testing the ph and aerating it over night. Here are pics of the results:

Water sample with sodium hydroxide BEFORE aeration (you can't really tell from the colours in the pic but it is darker than the darkest ph level):
    IMG_0695.JPG

Water sample with sodium hydroxide AFTER approx 18hrs aeration:
    IMG_0696.JPG

So I set up a 150gal holding tank and prepped for aging/aerating/heating my water and I have been using it in the meantime even tho the chemical isn't being added yet and the fish are super happy (and my water changes are way more efficient).

So if you already have sodium hydroxide being added to your water supply you may want to test your tap water before and after aeration to see if you have a ph swing going on (if you haven't already done this). If you do have a ph swing, then it would be a good idea to age/aerate your water before water changes to keep the ph in the tank stable.
    Thanks Kyla, for posting this. It's a great help.

Real Name
    Mervin

My city has been using sodium hydroxide and chlorine for a while now.From the lakes it's around 6.5 give or take;at the tap it's 7.3.Aged around 7;not bad.I age my water for large WC's.A 25 -35% WC change is OK here for most fish,but should be aged for extra large WC's.My fish do not notice a 90% WC after being aged.A lot will depend on where you live.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    My city has been using sodium hydroxide and chlorine for a while now.From the lakes it's around 6.5 give or take;at the tap it's 7.3.Aged around 7;not bad.I age my water for large WC's.A 25 -35% WC change is OK here for most fish,but should be aged for extra large WC's.My fish do not notice a 90% WC after being aged.A lot will depend on where you live.
    Hi Mervin,

It's good to know sodium hydroxide is ok for the small WC.

Update from desal plant:
    I called my water company this morning to inquire and someone from their lab just called me back; they confirmed only chlorine, sodium hydroxide, and zinc orthophosphate are added to the water, and no roadworks recently in my area. The person couldn't tell me anything about their schedule for when they add the chemicals to the supply tanks so I'm still not sure what happened last week when my fish reacted so badly. But at least for now I can focus on smaller WC, and also looks like I need to add some essential minerals in the water during my WC.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Ok so I just brought home two 55gal Brute containers to age my water starting today. Also got some Discus Trace since my tap water is basically RO water (with chemicals added). Hopefully this makes a difference. I just can't stand to see my Discus looking the way they do, they're not happy which is plain to see. The majority ate today and they continue to improve, but I believe my water has changed. I'm pretty sure it even tastes different, tastes 'harder' than it used to.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-02-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Update: all but two are eating well, and looking much better. I'll start my first WC with the aged water +Discus Trace tomorrow.

Real Name
    Rob

I had the same issue along time ago. What i started doing is put Prime in a bucket, fill the bucket with tap water then pour it in the tank. Never had the issue again.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by NJDiscusGuy View Post
    I had the same issue along time ago. What i started doing is put Prime in a bucket, fill the bucket with tap water then pour it in the tank. Never had the issue again.
    So in other words you spread out the prime more fully in your tank. Thanks for this, right now I mix the Safe in a cup container and add first as the new water is going in. I’ll see if I can distribute it a little more.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

All fish besides two ate their dinner well, the two had a few bites, so all coming along well. Was their first aged WC tonight, about 90 gallons. I seem to think they liked the aged water better but not sure. I'll do this for about a week and try to gauge how much of a difference it makes.

Hi Kenny just wanted to say so sorry to hear you have had so much trouble in your discussion keeping. It really is enjoyable when things go well. It's really a shame when you have to experience these things that are out of your control. You are obviously doing everything you can on your part. Wish you the best and success
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I'm betting they will love the aged water changes. Fingers crossed for u that they all perk up and you see more improvement! I think you are on the right track.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Hi Kenny just wanted to say so sorry to hear you have had so much trouble in your discussion keeping. It really is enjoyable when things go well. It's really a shame when you have to experience these things that are out of your control. You are obviously doing everything you can on your part. Wish you the best and success
    Hi Ryan:

I really appreciate that. When something like this happens I think, well this is where I draw the line and the hobby won't be enjoyable if I have to do that. But after looking at my Discus and considering their plight I'm finding I am willing to go the extra mile. The aged WC process isn't that bad, looks like my family admires my continual committment, and plus I believe there might be a middle ground here as far as my water goes. I'll experiment and see for sure but I don't think my tap water is all that bad, I might be able to do a combination or alternate aged and tap water.

Kenny

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    I'm betting they will love the aged water changes. Fingers crossed for u that they all perk up and you see more improvement! I think you are on the right track.
    Thanks Kyla,

One good thing is I'm getting to know my water better. With the sodium hydroxide combining with co2 during aging, along with my adding Discus Trace, my aged water should be good. Though I still know very little about zinc orthophosphate, I've read it's an anti-corrosive agent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast