AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: First discus tank, but it's drilled

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lisa Fetter

Smile First discus tank, but it's drilled

Hello from a newbie!

A few weeks ago, I got a steal of a deal on a 150 gallon tall tank that was previously used as a saltwater setup, that I am now preparing to turn into my first discus tank. There are 4 holes drilled in the tank bottom, with bulkheads... I've been thinking of using 2 canister filters, using the holes for a strainer intake and a return (locline?) for each canister. Figuring the return will need to be carefully directed (at the back wall?) to reduce the turbulence for discus. I already own a Fluval FX4, and there's a lfs here where I can get another for $215.

I will appreciate your expert guidance...
    - will 2 of the fx4's create too much flow in the tank for discus? I like the idea of 2 canisters... If a second fx4 is too much, what would you do?
    - is my plan wise? Any suggestions? I'm all ears!

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you have!
    Lisa

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: First discus tank, but it's drilled

If it is drilled already do a sump! Herbie style (http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/)

I really like using this style of sump, very easy, very efficient and in my opinion very effective: http://www.swisstropicals.com/wp_sit...ump-layout.pdf

I added seachem pond matrix on the intake side of the sump with red cherry shrimp to eat excess food and serve as the occasional live food snack.

I using 10, 20, 30 ppi 3" thick pieces in a 29gal tank for my sump on a 90 gal tank. You probably want something slightly larger for a 150 gal. Maybe a 40 or 50 gal tank.

Real Name
    Filip

Hi Lisa and welcome .
    150 Gallon is a pretty big water volume and I don't think that 2 FX 4 would make a very big water movement in it. Plus canisters usually have adjustable flow rate so you can play with that too if you feel your discus are pushed around from the flow .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    José Herrera

Tank Picture? I am curious as to whether the holes drilled are behind an overflow for a drain and return or in the bottom for a closed loop.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lisa Fetter

Thank you all for your replies! After reading Filip's reassurances that the flow will be manageable, I bought the second Fluval today. Cheche, the holes are in the bottom for a closed loop... Which was fully in place when I bought the setup. There was an under gravel grid system with a Nu-clear cartridge filter (which does not appeal to me at all), and no overflow. Got the first filter all plumbed up this morning, and will do the second one tomorrow. Thank you again!
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

you should find a smaller tank and use it as a sump , 1/4 of this size will do. Make use of the holes, best for wc

Real Name
    Rob

Hi Lisa,
    If you don't want to be bothered sith the sump, you can always plug the holes and just use it as a regular tank. You can buy the bulk heads online and the plugs at Home Depot. If you ever decide in the future to use the sump you can simply remove the plugs.
    I did the same thing with my 110 gallon setup. It was drilled and had an overflow. I plugged the holes and removed the overflow box.
    Good Luck
    Rob

I would install some pvc pipe for your water returns and bring them up to the surface with 90 degree elbows so the water surface is moving and increasing gas exchange. Id also install ball valves on each drain and water return under the tank so you can shut them off if needed so you don't drain the whole tank when servicing your filters. I'd also use one of the drains, or install a tee with a valve in one of the drains, so you can drain the tank easily for water changes, as already mentioned above.
    If you want to upgrade your filter, you can use a wet/dry, but you'll need to install pvc risers for the drains in the tank as well. You can find them used in various forums, eBay, or I see a lot on the Facebook market too. You could also build one yourself very easily with rubbermaid containers, theres many DIY plans online.

-Leland

Real Name
    Filip

Use the filull length spraybars Lisa and try to create a circular and easy flow throughout the whole tank . Pay attention to the good surface movement too , since O2 exchange is very important .
    Here is a pic from a friend with 2 canisters just as an idea .Spraybars near the surface pointed slightly upwards or maybe even above the water level dripping down the back wall :

tapatalk_1507186635872.jpeg
    Last edited by Filip; 10-05-2017 at 02:58 AM.