AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: ph meter

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default ph meter

can anyone recommend a good accurate digital PH meter? does one exist. I have one of the cheap yellow ones from china, but its off, very fickle and I really need something accurate and reliable. Any recommendations appreciated.

thanks, john

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: ph meter

Hi John,
    I found it annoying to have to worry about keeping the element moist and having testing solutions, especially when I don't test pH very often. I've gone back to the test kit solutions.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

I had a friend who worked in a lab, he gave me a loan of a top of the range one had it a week and returned it lol as my water has little KH I was panicking and adjusting PH in the tanks every day fish were being stressed, now I just watch the fish and have a drip test one if needed, if it aint broken dont fix it lol

Registered Member

I 've had an Ohaus ST20 for about 18 months and it does well. Oakton and Hannah Instruments make good ones too. Mine seems to take a long time to settle into the final pH. Just make sure you buy the calibration liquids and storage solution, if you get one. And whichever one you go with, make sure it has auto-calibration, it makes it a lot easier. I don't use mine all the time, but with a ph of 5.3, the other testers don't work at all. Plus it has a temp readout, and I can double check my thermometers for accuracy.

Registered Member

I test pH in a glass beaker reserved for aquarium use. In one old tank, I had a bit of stray voltage which would screw with readings if I dipped the meter in the tank itself.

I've gotten some great deals on Oakton pH meters on eBay. People don't bid on them and then I get a brand new $100+ meter for $10-20 shipped.

Real Name
    Eric

IMO a pH monitor is more trouble and cost than its worth. If your fish are thriving and behaving normally just keep doing what you are doing. If they start behaving oddly, test your water with liquid test kits.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Milwaukee Instruments MW101 PH Meter

Pinpoint. Why do you want to mess with pH though? It can be a frustrating thing to do, especially if you are trying to keep conductivity low as well.

Real Name
    Julian

I have two ph monitors both garbage, one was Mr. Aqua from China, and a pen like Milwaukee , the fact that you have to keep the probes wet, and the dangerous of swinging ph, no need to mess with it. I just do it for a more well around data in mine water, for record purpose.
    Any serious discus breeder knows that ph is secondary to water hardness GH first then KH. When I need to know the ph I go to an old fashion API test kit.
    If anyone wants they can have both of mine for free you pay for shipment, you can always buy a new electrode probe for cheap on Internet.
    Last edited by Pardal; 12-08-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.