ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

Question Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

I'm thinking of doing a pp bath for the first time at 2mg/L for 4 hour and filter off.
    Hopefully I will execute it right, however I have a big driftwood with anubias, not too sure if they will survive the treatment, anyone with similar issue please let me know if Anubis can take 4hour pp dip?

Here is my step, would love to hear your opinions.
    1) turn off filter and drain the tank partly. Add a few air stones and maybe a powerhead to circulate the water.
    2) take off the driftwood and plant (maybe or maybe not?) somewhere else for shorter dip (?) during treatment.
    3) dose the remain water at 2mg/L.
    4) get pop-corn and eyeballing the tank for the next 4 hours and maintain the colour light purple
    5) after 4 hours, water will turn yellow/brown, remove as much water as possible and fill the tank, add back plants and filter etc

Concern:
    1) how toxic is the yellow/brown inactive pp water? I can not remove them all because need to leave some water for the fish
    2) I also have pleco, siamese algae eater, cories and rummy nose, kuhli loach in the tank, are they ok with pp?

Please tell me what do you think

Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

take the plant out and do as you planned. Once the water turns yellow/brown and you do a good WC put the plant back in.
    Mama Bear

The anubias will be fine with the pp Harry but if you turn off the filter its going to negate any good you do. Once you turn it on anything in the filter will re-infect the tank.

Also if you treat your water for chlorine or ammonia it will react with and neutralize the pp very quickly.
    hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

But Al, the plant and driftwood it's attached to are organic and PP eats organics. At the very least the PP will become inactivated before it has a chance to do what he will be putting it in for. Am I wrong?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    But Al, the plant and driftwood it's attached to are organic and PP eats organics. At the very least the PP will become inactivated before it has a chance to do what he will be putting it in for. Am I wrong?
    I'm right there with you Liz. But it will still need to be treated somehow right?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    I'm right there with you Liz. But it will still need to be treated somehow right?
    I look around, and feel like it is best to take out the plant and treat them at different dose, like Liz said, plant will add to the total organic and therefore increase the amount of pp I must use. hmm, will be a pain, that driftwood is 3ft long
    Last edited by HarryDk; 10-02-2017 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    The anubias will be fine with the pp Harry but if you turn off the filter its going to negate any good you do. Once you turn it on anything in the filter will re-infect the tank.

Also if you treat your water for chlorine or ammonia it will react with and neutralize the pp very quickly.
    hth,
    al
    Hi Al,
    I was thinking the same, but actually I have never use pp for the hobby and the though of pp destroyed my sump is too scary especially I'm running K1 as main media .
    This sump is just about 1 year old, do you think the bio filter can handle 2ppm of pp? man the risk

Real Name
    Filip

I've recently performed a ton of PP baths(2 ppm per liter for 4 hours ) and they haven't harm my plants(much weaker then anubias BTW ) nor did they knocked out my established biofilter .

If your driftwood is a PIA to get it out I would perform the PP with it inside .
    I would leave the filter on and maintain the same water level as usual to be sure every bit of the tank is PP-ed for the purpose you are doing it .

Your filter mainly , than your driftwood secondly , will greatly neurltralize your PP during the procedure , so be prepared to redose the initial dose a couple of times during the procedure to maintain 2 PPM colouration .
    Aerate as hell during the treatment too and turn off your UV , Carbon and Lights if you have any .

Don't worry about the yellow residual water after the PP is inactive . This yellow water is harmless for life and it gets neutralized and cleaned in minutes with H202 after you fill up the tank , or it goes away by its self if left .
    HTH .

Good luck Harry .
    P.S.
    I'm just curious, are you treating for Gill flukes ?
    Last edited by Filip; 10-02-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Thanks Filip,
    I recently away from home for 6 weeks, my brother had taken care of the tank. When I come back I can see some of them having issue with the gills, not eating as much, resting head down 45% etc. One of them even have sight of eye cloud.
    I dose salt a few days ago, those that came to the rock salt and ate it, improve right away lol. But 2 other still looking pissed with only 1 gill flapping. So I though this is fluke and some external infection. pp is my first step in mind.
    This is a 500L tank with 10 adults discus + some smaller fish, I only do 90% weekly wc because nitrate never go above 5 at the end of the week.

I will try pp for the first time this weekend, nervous but excited to see how it go with my sump still running.

PS: I do replace filter sock every morning, do I need to remove it during pp treatment? i'm 100% sure the sock will turn purple

Real Name
    Filip

Leave the sock and any other prefilters. they will collect a lot of burned mulm and organics from the tank .
    Watch out for weaker fish because they might not be able to withstand the whole 4 hours . Be ready to change the water in case of emergency.
    Any presence of dechlor will neutralize PP .
    Add a circulation pump and pour pP solution slowly to avoid fish swimming through clouds of Concentrated PP.

Filip,
    what is the behavior of the fish when they can't take the pp any more? dash? shake? or lying down?
    During treatment, if I see that, can I remove him to smaller tank and dose less pp in there or fresh water?

THanks

Just watch them. They will tell you. I've never had one show stress myself but I think that they would lay down. Watch the fish. YOu will see it if some get stressed.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

I have done PP 2 mg /liter 4 hours a few times no problems without the filter but the PP stays active for about 2 hours and then it changes colour from pink to brown .the fish had no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    I have done PP 2 mg /liter 4 hours a few times no problems without the filter but the PP stays active for about 2 hours and then it changes colour from pink to brown .the fish had no problem.
    So did you not letting the pp go through your filter?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    Filip,
    what is the behavior of the fish when they can't take the pp any more? dash? shake? or lying down?
    During treatment, if I see that, can I remove him to smaller tank and dose less pp in there or fresh water?

THanks
    They ussualy get listless and loose balance when they can't take it no more . Laying down or tail standing listlessly in some corner near the top .
    Put them in fresh water not in weaker PP solution if they loose balance .

You might as well do it without the filter as Said says but I think that Al point on this is also valid Whatever you treat for , it will stay untreated in your filter if you just turn it off during the PP treat.
    And redose if it neurltralizes quicker than 4 hours.
    Pink , Red and orange means active , yellow or brown means its inactive .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast