Cafepress Store     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

  1. #16
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    167
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sayid

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    So did you not letting the pp go through your filter?
    I switched the canister filter off for the 4 hours and when i switched it back on the brown colour of PP gradually got cleared.

  2. #17
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    167
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sayid

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    They ussualy get listless and loose balance when they can't take it no more . Laying down or tail standing listlessly in some corner near the top .
    Put them in fresh water not in weaker PP solution if they loose balance .

    You might as well do it without the filter as Said says but I think that Al point on this is also valid Whatever you treat for , it will stay untreated in your filter if you just turn it off during the PP treat.
    And redose if it neurltralizes quicker than 4 hours.
    Pink , Red and orange means active , yellow or brown means its inactive .
    I have never experienced fish loosing balance or roll over with 2mg per liter over 4 hours but they get listless as Filip said .i also have tried PP bath 10 mg per liter for 30 minutes with no problem.

  3. #18
    Registered Member HarryDk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    191
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Ayyy, tried it for the first time, everything is fine except for 1 single rummy nose. Poor guy KIA almost instantly . He must has jump in the highly concentrated pp when i pour in

  4. #19
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    167
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sayid

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    I am happy that you experienced your first PP treatment ,it is not as bad as people think but it is still tough on the fish ,sorry to hear about your rummy nose ,i don't know what is KIA but it does not sounds good any way i usually add concentrated PP gradually with a power head so the fish don't get a shock ,are you still have problem with gill fluke ?

  5. #20
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    21,650
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Hi all,
    Some plants will be harmed by pp at the doses we use...but anubias are very thick leaves, hardy plants. Some can even grow terrestrially . The leaves have a tough outer layer that should resist pp during a treatment.

    hth clear up my post.

    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>Do YOU LIKE SIMPLYDISCUS?? Please help Support it today, so its here tomorrow .. DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

    SimplyDiscus, where the cool fish swim...

  6. #21
    Moderator Team Filip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Macedonia-Europe
    Posts
    2,657
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Filip

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Maybe the rummynose was weaker fish that didn't survive the treatment .
    You will still have to repeat the treatment every 4th day for total of 4-5 repetitions to break the cycle of the parasite if you are treating for flukes .
    How were the results day after the treat ?
    Did they seemed better in breathing, clamped fins or the gill Movement ?

    BTW. Sayid , KIA is military abbreviation for " killed in action " . MIA is also popular term meaning " missing in action " .

  7. #22
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    167
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sayid

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Maybe the rummynose was weaker fish that didn't survive the treatment .
    You will still have to repeat the treatment every 4th day for total of 4-5 repetitions to break the cycle of the parasite if you are treating for flukes .
    How were the results day after the treat ?
    Did they seemed better in breathing, clamped fins or the gill Movement ?

    BTW. Sayid , KIA is military abbreviation for " killed in action " . MIA is also popular term meaning " missing in action " .
    Thanks Filip for clearing that .
    I have the same problem myself with fluke and planning with the logistics of how to deal with 15 adult discus and no working filter , i hope to be ready in about 8 weeks .

  8. #23
    Moderator Team Filip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Macedonia-Europe
    Posts
    2,657
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Filip

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Thanks Filip for clearing that .
    I have the same problem myself with fluke and planning with the logistics of how to deal with 15 adult discus and no working filter , i hope to be ready in about 8 weeks .
    2 ppm of PP for 4 hours won't necessarily wipe out your whole BB colonies from the filter Sayid.
    You can get away with doing large waterchanges during the treatment period in your main tank .

  9. #24
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    167
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sayid

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    2 ppm of PP for 4 hours won't necessarily wipe out your whole BB colonies from the filter Sayid.
    You can get away with doing large waterchanges during the treatment period in your main tank .
    I think i need to to sterilize the tank and the filter media using bleach or 10 ppm of PP while the fish are being treated with 2ppm of PP in another tank ( andrew soh )
    method ,i don't wish to hijack Harry's thread so soon i will start a new thread and ask for every one's advise .

  10. #25
    Registered Member HarryDk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    191
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Before treatment, fish show some kind of irritation, like occasional dash and scratch into objects. After treatment I can see some improvement, as they are less likely to do so, still shaking their fins some time. Well, I did the treatment with no filter. Don't plan to risk it for now.
    My main purpose wasn't fluke, more like I want to give the tank a good clean. As coming back from the trip, i have 2 fish very weak and not eating, become so skinny. So something must happen in the water.

    The 2 fish are in the hospital tank now, barely eat anything for 2 months now, I don't even know what to do. Keeping them in high temp with Metro 500mg/G. They just went through a full course of Furan2+kanamycin treatment a week before the metro. Poor fish, just want to save them,very nice solid red melon , now they look so pale. Got some live blackworms in there, hopefully they will have some

  11. #26
    Moderator Team Filip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Macedonia-Europe
    Posts
    2,657
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Filip

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    Before treatment, fish show some kind of irritation, like occasional dash and scratch into objects. After treatment I can see some improvement, as they are less likely to do so, still shaking their fins some time. Well, I did the treatment with no filter. Don't plan to risk it for now.
    My main purpose wasn't fluke, more like I want to give the tank a good clean. As coming back from the trip, i have 2 fish very weak and not eating, become so skinny. So something must happen in the water.

    The 2 fish are in the hospital tank now, barely eat anything for 2 months now, I don't even know what to do. Keeping them in high temp with Metro 500mg/G. They just went through a full course of Furan2+kanamycin treatment a week before the metro. Poor fish, just want to save them,very nice solid red melon , now they look so pale. Got some live blackworms in there, hopefully they will have some
    After Furan , Kanamycine and Metro treat I'm affraid there is not much else you can do for thoose two discus Harry.
    Just let the nature take its course and hope for the best . They may surprise you .

  12. #27
    Registered Member HarryDk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    191
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    After Furan , Kanamycine and Metro treat I'm affraid there is not much else you can do for thoose two discus Harry.
    Just let the nature take its course and hope for the best . They may surprise you .
    one of them died yesterday, she look like she swimming, body stay up in the middle of the tank ; if her gill isn't motionless, I may think she alive (. Burried her under the backyard, the other redmelon still in very bad shape, not eating, so skinny and it break my heart looking at him. Don't even want to cull, just let him fight his fight and nature take its course. cryyyy

  13. #28
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    167
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sayid

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    I am sorry to hear your loss ,it is the sense of helplessness which hearts , look Discuspaul put a thread which involves putting a small piece of orange peel in the tank and it suppose to increase the appetite of the fish ,i have not tried this but you have nothing to loose and it is not going to cost any thing ,have a look at it ,it is in the
    food section of the main forum under the heading of orange peel .
    HTH
    Sayid

  14. #29
    Registered Member HarryDk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    191
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Potassium permanganate in main tank with Anubias

    Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    I am sorry to hear your loss ,it is the sense of helplessness which hearts , look Discuspaul put a thread which involves putting a small piece of orange peel in the tank and it suppose to increase the appetite of the fish ,i have not tried this but you have nothing to loose and it is not going to cost any thing ,have a look at it ,it is in the
    food section of the main forum under the heading of orange peel .
    HTH
    Sayid
    Why did I forget about that, gonna try tomorrow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

NADA             AquaticSuppliers.com