ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: seachem purigen

Registered Member

Default seachem purigen

Just wondering how many of you use seachem purigen in your discus tanks ive never used it but have heard people rave about it whats the difference between purigen and carbon ive read and heard carbon is not good for discus is that true with the purigen as well. I'm thinking about adding it just wanted to hear from some of your guys experience with it I know both carbon and purigen will make your water clear but just want to make sure its safe to use with discus thank you

Default Re: seachem purigen

Purigen is great and is perfectly safe
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Purigen is great and is perfectly safe
    +1

I've used it in planted discus tanks 24/7 for years and found it very useful to produce crystal clear water all the time, keep water surface free of any slime, and adsorb a number of undesirable elements that build up.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 10-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Silver Member

+1 I use mine in reactors

Registered Member

what the difference between the carbon and purigen. why do people not recommend using carbon in discus tanks and purigen is fine thanks for the replies

Carbon is beneficial for removing odors and discolorations, and does improve water clarity, but does not, or may not, absorb the number and variety of impurities or other undesirable elements that Purigen does, so Purigen produces overall better water quality than carbon imo.

And carbon only has a very limited time frame of effectiveness and must be discarded before it becomes saturated, as it may then begin leaching the harmful matter it has absorbed back into the tank, whereas Purigen may be regenerated a number of times while remaining quite effective - and it has no negative effect if it's beads become fully absorbed with elements.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Carbon is beneficial for removing odors and discolorations, and does improve water clarity, but does not, or may not, absorb the number and variety of impurities or other undesirable elements that Purigen does, so Purigen produces overall better water quality than carbon imo.

And carbon only has a very limited time frame of effectiveness and must be discarded before it becomes saturated, as it may then begin leaching the harmful matter it has absorbed back into the tank, whereas Purigen may be regenerated a number of times while remaining quite effective - and it has no negative effect if it's beads become fully absorbed with elements.
    Ok thanks for that info so purigen it is I'm going to give it a try