ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What is the Best Feeding Time for Discus?

Registered Member

Default What is the Best Feeding Time for Discus?

Good Day!

I would like to know the best feeding time for discus because i have observed that my discus eats most during 12:00 Pm up to 8:00 Pm in the evening. I have also observed that the morning food is left uneaten. Water temperature is a constant 28 to 30 degrees Celsius.

Also I would like to know the feed rate of discus compare to body weight if there are any?

Thank You.

Lukon
    Last edited by lukon; 10-02-2017 at 02:43 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: What is the Best Feeding Time for Discus?

Hi Lukon and welcome .
    There is no best time for feeding discus. They all got different appetites and manners just like Us humans I guess .
    Ive noticed that they get most hungry after a big WC , IMHE .

There is no such ratio on net as far as I've seen , regarding weight of fish vs feeding amounts ratio.
    The most comprehensive data about the frequency and the amount of food that discus should be fed can be found in the Stendker discus site , under the feeding section on the site .

HTH , and please introduce and share your tank and your discus with us .

Real Name
    Phil

How old and big are your fish?

What type of lighting do you use and how long after the lights come up do you feed?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

my fish seem most hungry first thing in the morning about an hour after the lights come on and ramp up. although any time I approach the tank they act starving too lol
    ~JACKLYN~

Every 4 hours interval.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Due to metabolism there is a correlation in growth compared to the length of time before first and last feeding of the day, but as was said earlier there is no hard and fast rule for when to feed.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    James

The light comes on at 6 AM, I feed them by 6:30 AM before I leave for work. I feed them again between 2:30 and 3:30 PM when I get home from work. I feed them again between 7:30 and 8:30 PM. Lights out at 10 PM. My discus are used to their feeding schedule so they tend to get excited and moved closer to the surface when they see me around their normal feeding time expecting to be fed. I was told that since my discus are young, I need to feed them more like 6 to 8 times. That is hard because of work and life schedule, but I will try to feed them one or two more time between the 2:30 PM and 10 PM.

If you can get them to eat flakes (or pellets) you can use an autofeeder, I feed mine before work, when I get home, and about 9pm (an hour before lights ramp down) - the autofeeder dumps some flake in there in the middle of the day as well. The eihiem one is the one I use and its great, you can have it feed multiple times a day as well.