ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tank Upgrade Questions

Registered Member

Default Tank Upgrade Questions

Hi, all. I currently have a 55g discus tank and just purchased a used 125g to move them into. I'm looking for guidance on a couple items to make sure that I do this right.

1. The 125g has been empty and dry for a couple years. Is it safe to assume any biological contaminants are gone, or should it be sterilized before use? If I need to sterilize, what is the easiest way to do that with this large a tank?

2. If I transfer the biomedia from the filter on the 55g to the 125g along with the fish, is that sufficient to consider the tank cycled? The biomass will be the same, just in a larger volume of water.

Thanks!
    Linda

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Re: Tank Upgrade Questions

The tank should be fine if it has been dry for a few years but wiping it down with a mild bleach solution is always a good ideal. The filtration should also be fine to start with but make sure you keep a very close eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels for a few weeks in case you get a mini cycle.

Real Name
    Filip

I would bleach or PP -sterilize the tank prior its use , just out of precautions.

As for your cycled filter , you can pretty much assume that you are safe and your new tank will be instantly cycled once you transfer the old filter there .
    And Congrats on your new - old 120 gallon tank .

Real Name
    Phil

+1 on the gentlemen above. I too would rather be safe and give the tank a nice clean...

Real Name
    Rob

Whenever i buy a used tank- and I have purchased many- I wash it out with a hose, then once dry i wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. Let it dry for 24 hours- then wipe it down again with a clean sponge and water. I never had any issues with this method.

next step would be drill a holes, get a sump and spend a few million dollars on equipment ^___^

Real Name
    Willie

I'm not against wiping down the tank with a chlorine solution, but don't think it's necessary. I would certainly use the opportunity to really scrub it down - but that's probably because I have OCD. However, it would be important to test if the tank leaks by filling it in a place where a leak does not produce a disaster.

As for cycling, moving the filter over from your 55 will producing instant cycling.

Have fun with it! Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.