AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Little Thing has to be Hungry..

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

Default Poor Little Thing has to be Hungry..

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

this little fish is starving wont eat haven't seen it eat in wks,,,

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

just wont eat getting super skinny,

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

no treatment no other fish in tank is like this everyone else is nice healthy and fat

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

130 gallon, everyone in tank was added at the same time about 6 months ago

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

i do 50% water change daily,

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

6 months or so

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

yes have aging barrel with heater,pump and air,,, i add Prime to the aging barrel when i fill barrel and not to tank i have well water not sure if i even need to add Prime but im to scared not to. , i age for 24 hours

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

WATER FROM TANK

- temp ___83__

- ph __8.4___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __between 10 and 20__

WATER FROM BARREL
    temp 83
    PH 8.4
    ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

WATER FROM TAP

PH 7.6

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water YES____

- municipal water ____NO

- RO water ____NO

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. NO

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

10 am i feed a variety of high quality flake food that is mixed together, and Discus Chow...
    5 Pm I feed freeze dried blackworms with and without the spinach mixed together
    i probably overfeed but never miss a waterchange and sift my sand daily.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    you can see the other fish are nice and healthy and fat,,,,
    sickfish1.jpg
    sickfish2.jpg
    fatfish3.JPG
    new tank.jpg
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Default Re: Poor Little Thing has to be Hungry..

Give the tank a metro treatment. If you can move the fish to a bb tank for the duration and raise the temp to 90 or 92 you will get better results than if the temp stays in the 80's. I see white poo floating in the second pic. The skinny fish is the first you have seen obvious symptoms in. All have been exposed and all should be treated. JMHO
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tina

actually there is no white poo i just feed the FDworms right before taking this pic...I will take a better look at the poop tomorrow before i clean the tank.. i dont have another tank but will go get one i should have a spare just in case anyways...
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Real Name
    Tina

OK went and bought him a 20 gal with new heater that can go over 90 degrees, put sponge and some extra media that i kept in sump from main tank in it. got temp to 83 that matched the main tank water and then PLOPPED him in new tank... going to let temp get to 91 then start treatment... never had a tank temp set that high hope i dont cook him,,, when should i start to try and feed him/her ????? should i just keep feeding my regular schedule and hope he starts eating,,,i feel so bad for him he doesnt look like a Kenny fish anymore he looks like a Pet Shop Discus... awwww....

PS ...not me in pic #1 LOL,,,my Aunts mad because im posting it...

new 20 1.jpg
    new 20 2.jpg
    new 20 3.jpg
    Last edited by Coffee1stLife2nd; 10-04-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Real Name
    Tina

OK here is what I have ... what should i use ??? ICH-X ,,,, Melafix....ParaGuard....PolyGuard....NeoPlex..... things i purchased when i was setting up the tank just so i would have on hand incase i ever needed something Sorry i dont have any Metro....

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee1stLife2nd View Post
    OK here is what I have ... what should i use ??? ICH-X ,,,, Melafix....ParaGuard....PolyGuard....NeoPlex..... things i purchased when i was setting up the tank just so i would have on hand incase i ever needed something Sorry i dont have any Metro....
    I'm sorryTina, but none of those will effectively treat an internal parasite like Hexamita if thats what you have, and theres a good chance thats it, in which case Liz is correct. If you want the best chance to succeed here, you need to use the appropriate medication. Jehmco.com sells Metro at very reasonable prices. I do have to be honest though, I believe this fish is too far gone. I would love to be wrong, but when they get that thin and stop feeding things start shutting down. Im sorry.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Buy your metro from Jhemco. throw the melafix away. I don't know the last three but recommended dose of the active ingredients in commercially sold meds are often not high enough to solve the problem.

First you identify the problem then buy the specific med to treat it. Look here for how to dose it. For metro it is suggested to use 500 milligrams daily for 12 to 14 days. If the fish hasn't eaten in a long it may not get it's appetite back until the end of teatment. I wouldn't bother feeding for the first few days. After that offer him a small meal and see if he eats. If you can get your hands on some live California black worms they are invaluable in situations like this.

Metro is a very safe med. You may need to turn up the filter because at higher temps there is less dissolved oxygen. I always change as much water as possible during treatment. I have the fish almost flopping on the bottom every day during WC. The organisms are dying. In with the good water, out with the bad.

It's a shame that you aren't going to treat the entire group. If one fish shows symptoms they all have it. They are just stronger and haven't shown symptoms yet.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'm sorryTina, but none of those will effectively treat an internal parasite like Hexamita if thats what you have, and theres a good chance thats it, in which case Liz is correct. If you want the best chance to succeed here, you need to use the appropriate medication. Jehmco.com sells Metro at very reasonable prices. I do have to be honest though, I believe this fish is too far gone. I would love to be wrong, but when they get that thin and stop feeding things start shutting down. Im sorry.

al
    Your eyes may be better than mine, Al, but I don't think that the fish is too far gone. What is your opinion on her treating the main tank?
    Mama Bear

Hi Liz,
    Best guessing here but Im basing that "too far gone" on the pinched forehead, not eating in weeks, and the erosions of the fins...this poor fellow has been in decline awhile.

I also would treat the main tank as if this is an internal bug and its been sick awhile...its probably been shedding alot of it into the tank.Better safe than sorry.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tina

Ok... I will treat the whole tank better to be safe then sorry I will order some Metro, i think i will keep this lil one in the 20 gal by itself since i have it in there already. how would I get a internal parasite since i havent added anything new to the tank??? thanks for all the help....

Fish can carry parasites for years without symptoms.Their immune system keeps it in check but if they get stressed,bullied, or weakened in anyway they can get over whelmed by the parasites as they reproduce faster than the fish can fight...it becomes a downward spiral when that happens.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tina

im on the JEHMCO web site and dont see anything that says METRO.... is this what im supossed to be looking for Metronidazole ?????

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee1stLife2nd View Post
    im on the JEHMCO web site and dont see anything that says METRO.... is this what im supossed to be looking for Metronidazole ?????
    Yep, that's it. I would get the 500 grams. You will want to treat 500 mg per 10 gallons daily for ten days or better.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 10-04-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tina

little thing died this morning... sad... but im treating the main tank now...

Im sorry to hear it Tina.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast