AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie baptism of fire

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Newbie baptism of fire

Colin, are you using a DE-clhorintar when you do a water change? If that product for cloudy water is not for that then not really needed.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Colin Chaffers

I have found a supplier of seachem products, they don't stock Seachem Matrix but have offered Seachem Purigen, looking at the manufactures website it seem they do the same but the Matrix is a natural product, whereas Purigen is synthetic. Does anyone have experience of the Seachem Purigen?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Colin Chaffers

Thanks, I need to find out what the "cloudy water" product is.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by colinchaffers View Post
    I have found a supplier of seachem products, they don't stock Seachem Matrix but have offered Seachem Purigen, looking at the manufactures website it seem they do the same but the Matrix is a natural product, whereas Purigen is synthetic. Does anyone have experience of the Seachem Purigen?
    Aquarium Filtration consist of 3 different levels / stages :
    1. mechanical - filter floss , wool , sponges etc. For catching debris and small dirt particles from the water .
    2. Biological - The most important filtration that happens on a microscopic bacterial levels and mainly consists of bacteria's converting ammonia and Nitrites to less toxic to fish Nitrates . Thats Seachem matrix , Bio rings , Bio balls , Sera siporax ,Fluval rings etc. , and lastly

3. Chemical filtration - This filtration is used only as an addition and fine tunning of our water quality . It involves specialized and synthetic resins that strips toxins from the water such as Seachem purigen you ordered , active carbon , zeolite , phosphate / nitrate removers , UV and ozone units .
    All those are not necesarry , but only supplemental, 3rd stage filtration .
    So besides your purigen , you'll still need to find a biomedia for your filter Collin.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Colin Chaffers

Many thanks, I think I need to visit the large fish market in Bangkok to seek out some biofilter material. by the way I did not by the Purigen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12