AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Yellow bumps

Registered Member

Default Yellow bumps

Problem

Yellow bumps. Breeding pair, only the male is affected. The bumps last about 2 days and go away without treatment. This is the third occurance in 6 weeks.

Everything else with the fish is normal.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

No treatments as we don't know what it is.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    30 gallons, breeding pair of 5.5-6"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Daughters tank so I'm not sure

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Bare bottom, set up for 6 weeks

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Oh is 6.4 aged well water with neutral regulator and discus buffer added

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _83.7____

- ph 6.4_____

- ammonia reading 0____

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading 15____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water _well___

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nothing new

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Fed twice a day a mix of flake, pellet and frozen foods

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Yellow bumps

Question 5 would be the most important part of the questionnaire,in this case.

Registered Member

She said 50% every other day. Also this pair has been laying eggs and then eating them just before they should hatch. Could this have anything to do with that?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

can you tell if these are missing scales?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

No, his scales are intact. The bumps usually last a few days and just go away, then he looks fine until it happens again .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

they look like little miniature cysts. this is weird to me, ive never seen anything like it. does the fish act any different when he has them?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

The fish is acting normally with and without the bumps. I sure wish we could figure out what it is, I've never seen anything like it either. These are my daughters first discus and she freaks out everytime it happens. My best guess is that it has something to do with his slime coat and spawning but I really don't know.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Does it coincide with spawning? If so perhaps it is related to a stress event. This might be one for Al.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I'm not 100% sure but I've been watching to see if it happens when they spawn and I think it is. They have eggs that should hatch tonight and he looks fine. It happened just before a spawn last time.

Hmmm,
    This is probably one of the weirdest issues I have seen. My first thought was they are lost scales...they definitely are in the place of a scale. My thought would have been theres aggressione and the fish is getting the scales knocked off. They would grow back quickly. Do the pair fight at all? tail slap or peck at each other?
    If scales and a barebottom tank you can see them on the tank bottom.

If you are sure they arent fighting my suggest would be to deworm and treat for internal parasites. Breeding is stressful.Its possible the stress weakens the fish and the disease cropps up. I dont think its likely here.

Honestly , the loss of scales fits the bill better. I have a pair that gets frisky and scales do get knocked off.

one thing you can try when the issue arises is a salt dip....see if it clears it up.That would help narrow it down.

if possible Id like to see a video. ..the pics could be deceptive. Some of the marks look solid others look hollow.

Wish I could offer more but this one is not going to be any ID .
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

No aggression towards him, he is the aggressor of the pair. We will watch for missing scales but I've never noticed any marks or anything on him before the bumps starts. When it happens again I will post a video. Thank you all for trying to help!