AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I think he will die :(

Registered Member

Default I think he will die :(

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?not s
    He is dark, has white/metalic film on his sides. Lies on his side. Not eating since yesterday.
    It started with him getting a big gash in his head. Moved him to seperate tank with clean water and rest.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    White film. Almost like he has dandruf. Big gray stuff on his eye. See picture. He is not eating and laying alot on his side.
    Smells bad.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Clean water and his own tank. No treatment yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    He is in a 100 liter tank. The tank is on a system with 3x 100 liters and 1x 300 liters tanks filtrated by a 250 liters sump with fluedised k1 filtermedia.
    The system has been running for about 6-8 months.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    about 10% every 2 hours. Removing detrius from all tanks. Total of 600 liters each day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Tank is new but system has been running for 6-8 months. Bare bottom. No equipment in the tank.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Age water for about 9 hours to first water change. I use a 600 liters tank for aging. Fill it up each night. flat 6.8 ph.
    Add tropic marin pro discus mineral to water aging tank.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____28

- ph _____ 6.8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ No reading

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____no

- municipal water ____Yes

- RO water ____no

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    no

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I feed homemade shrimp mix, mysis, krill, black/white worms and discus granulate.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    IMG_20171006_201808.jpg

IMG_20171007_082323.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I think he will die :(

I would suggest a daily dose of Furan 2 after a 50% or better water change. Also add salt (two tablespoons per 10 gallons) until the fish appears normal. Be sure to do a large daily water change and then redose the Furan 2 and salt of the amount of water in the tank. Did that gash appear overnight? The white stuff is the fish shedding it's slime coat.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

The gash was there when I came home one day. Prolly knocked over a bonsay three in the display tank. Moved it to the tank after that. I will check if I can get furan 2. What is the active ingreedient? Perhaps I can get a substitute.
    Did 100% waterchange earlier when i saw he had taken a turn for the wourse.

Registered Member

What dumb luck. I ordered some focus a while back and got something else instead. Checked now and it was furan 2. Dissconnecting the tank from the system now and start treatment.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

how does the fish look today Belkar, have you started the furan 2 treatment?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

I have treated for 3 days now. Will add 4th dose later today along with salt. I think he looks better. The eye still looks pretty bad. But it is not swollen any more. And the slime coat is still cracking up. But now he is acting more normal atleast. Not tilting to the side as much.
    So fingers crossed. Only have one more dose after today of furan. For a total of 5 days. Hopefully he is better after that. If not I will have to try to find alternatives as I cant find furan 2 in my country.

Real Name
    Pat

Are you also adding salt to the water Belkar?
    Pat

Registered Member

Yes. Two tablespoons for each 10 gallons. This is how he looks now before I add treatment number 4.

IMG_20171010_215453.jpg

IMG_20171010_215535.jpg

Registered Member

Did a final salt bath after 5 days of medication. His eye is almost back to normal now. And his slimecoat looks good. Also his wound is much better. Thanks for the help! I was almost certain he was going to die.

Real Name
    Pat

That is great news
    Pat