ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Two 50% or One 100% WC Daily?

Registered Member

Default Two 50% or One 100% WC Daily?

Hello All!

Given my current setup and logistical limits, I have two main options for WC. I would value some input from seasoned experts on which might be better, if any.

Option 1: Two 50's a day

50% WC and vac in morning, 50% WC and vac in evening

Option 2: One 100 a day
    0% WC in morning but still vacuuming, 100% WC and vac in evening
    - the 100% WC is actually a 90% then refill a bit and change another 10% (since I keep the fish in-tank during)

Further Info

Tank: 40B tank, BB (moving to 75g in a few months)
    Filtration: two sponge filters
    Stocking: six juvies, mostly 3 inches but one getting close to 4 inches
    Feeding: homemade BH, seafood, veggie mix in morning, 3 auto-feeding of Cobalt Discus flakes or FDBW, homemade mix again in evening
    Water: 24 hour aged/aerated tap treated with Prime, PH ~8.0 (high but very consistent), Temp 85 F

Thank you for your time and feedback!

Evan

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Two 50% or One 100% WC Daily?

What are you feeding how often and when? You are going to get a 50-50 split when it comes to this and people will have their reasons behind it I think that if you are feeding them a lot it makes sense to do the 250% feedings because then you will clean up a lot more of the leftover food however if you are feeding a mix of food and save the messy food for right before the water change then you can accomplish the same thing with a big 100% change

Real Name
    Filip

Like Phill says , there are no stone carved rules about this . I my self am a big fan of 100 % bedtime cleanouts because that way you reset the parameters and bacterial counter to 0 and leave the fish in pristine water for at least 10-12 hours until your next feeding .
    With 2 50% I'll have the feeling that they are always in semi diluted toxins and not in pristine water condition . That's only my POV . I'm sure many others may disagree with it .

Registered Member

Thank you both for the input. I understand there will be split opinions on this...I myself am split. Haha. So it will be interesting to see what others say.

As for the feeding point...5 times a day, details in the first post. I am vacuuming both morning and night (the dirtiest feeding times) regardless of when I do the WC. So that helps.

Whichever way I go, do you think in general this WC is good for juvies? I would think 100% total change per day is good, but I've been misguided before in WC requirements. Really want to do it right this time.

Thank you!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

Not to argue the merits of a good water change, but it's not necessary to feed 5 times a day and change this much water daily for 3" fish (fry, perhaps).

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Thank you both for the input. I understand there will be split opinions on this...I myself am split. Haha. So it will be interesting to see what others say.

As for the feeding point...5 times a day, details in the first post. I am vacuuming both morning and night (the dirtiest feeding times) regardless of when I do the WC. So that helps.

Whichever way I go, do you think in general this WC is good for juvies? I would think 100% total change per day is good, but I've been misguided before in WC requirements. Really want to do it right this time.

Thank you!
    100% daily should be more than enough IMHO given the tank size , numbers , age, size of your discus and feeding regiment.

Real Name
    Phil

I'm sorry not sure how I missed all your good info clearly laid out.

I like flips 100 bedtime idea honestly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

I'm growing out 15 discus (2 inches) in a 40B BB tank for over a month now. Feeding 3 times a day, BH mix, AFDBW, 100% water change and wipe down at night. They are all doing great, always have the appetite. I'd say it will be time for a tank upgrade in a month or so.

P.S
    Sorry Steve (RogueDiscus), I lost one due a bad siphoning accident, it got sucked the siphon tube head first

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Both should work but it depends a bit on your fish and water parameters. in ideal condition, no ph swing, no water bubbles, no delay in dechlorination AND bold fish will be fine with 2 50% WC. However, if your fish get spooked during WC and water parameters switch a lot then you are better off with 100% WC.