AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Proven male not fertilizing eggs.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parag

Default Proven male not fertilizing eggs.

Hi,

I have few males that are no longer interested in fertilizing eggs. The female lays eggs, male just watches. After the female completes, they both take full care of the eggs. Male aggressively protects the eggs. But as expected, 0 eggs hatch. First I thought it must be some water issue. But then I actually observed the egg laying for few times.
    I had good babies from same pairs. And surprisingly this is happening with lot more pairs.
    Males are aged from 18 months to 28 months.

TDS : 25
    PH : 6.8
    Water temperature : 28 - 28.6 oC

Has any one faced such problem and if so what can be the reason and solution?

Thanks in advance,

Parag

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parag

Default Re: Proven male not fertilizing eggs.

Your input will be really appreciated.

Real Name
    Kevin

I have a male Blue Diamond that does the same thing after he has a batch of fry removed from him. I think he's smart and doesn't want 200 fry chewing on him all day. He eventually forgets the torment and gives into the female after a few spawns.

Real Name
    Julian

I had and, brought back some retired pairs, Once you have ruled out that is not water issues, you need to focus on nutrition, ensure that is rich in proteins and vitamins good quality beef heart mix or seafood mix and FDBW for me the trick was live black worms, only problem is they could get addicted, and ensure it is a good source keep them in cold clean water in a refrigerator changing the water daily.
    Another trick is add some competition near or in the tank with a partition but visible also you can put them in a community as most pairs stay as pairs for life if not force broken by us humans, he will feel competition and do his job.

Julian
    Last edited by Pardal; 10-15-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr. Shardul

Hi parag, this is a common problem with pairs both parents get eventually tired due to continue breeding keep them in common tank and add garlic in your food garlic is best antioxidants and can increase libido