AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need advice on filtration

Registered Member

Default Need advice on filtration

I used to keep discus but it has been a while so looking for some advice. I am buying a tank but it has an overflow with a sump and I don't think a sump is the best set up for a discus tank. Should I do a wet/dry filter? I am not sure what the best way to filter this tank would be? It is a 125 gallon, peninsula style tank. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Registered Member

Default Re: Need advice on filtration

I’m just starting a 120 Discus tank and using a sump. Seems to me to be the easiest and most convenient method. I’m using the marine pure bio media. I’m not planning on growing Discus but rather building a community tank.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I would recommend the use of Serea siporax bio filter medium over the marine pure bio media. I did use the marine pure bio media and didn't like it over the long run, stuff crumbles all the time in the sump bottom.

Real Name
    Eric

A sump is best for a discus tank, IMO, although anything can work. Simple sponge filters, to HOB filters, to canisters have all been utilized with success and all have their advocates.

Go with the overflow / sump if you already have the equipment. I like the extra water volume, ability to hide equipment, and large amount of biomedia that can be housed in a sump. Cleaning can be more challenging though

Good luck.

Real Name
    Kevin

Ditto to what Clawhammer said, the extra water volume and the ability to hide heaters make sumps my preferred choice.