AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need advice on filtration

Registered Member

Default Need advice on filtration

I used to keep discus but it has been a while so looking for some advice. I am buying a tank but it has an overflow with a sump and I don't think a sump is the best set up for a discus tank. Should I do a wet/dry filter? I am not sure what the best way to filter this tank would be? It is a 125 gallon, peninsula style tank. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Need advice on filtration

A sump is a great option. You will find many more use sumps than wet/dry

I actually recently built a sump and I did do a wet/dry section but really all you need is some good mechanical prefiltration and lots of bio media. Sumps for a discus tank can be very simple or you can make it more elaborate. That's the beauty of a sump is the ability to customize for your needs and personal preference.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I have an old sump that I can use on it but I didn't think it was a good filter for discus. Do you know how I should set up the sump?

Quote Originally Posted by lwillis22 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have an old sump that I can use on it but I didn't think it was a good filter for discus. Do you know how I should set up the sump?
    Use the search feature here. You will find many threads with photos of users sumps

With my sump I chose to not use filter socks because I didn't want to constantly be changing them. I used poret foam instead.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is