ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: what number for tds

Registered Member

Default what number for tds

What would be a good tds for breeding discus. When it comes to raising fry what would be a good tds then would u want it higher or keep it the same. Thank you.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: what number for tds

50-100 TDS would be optimal range for eggs to hatch , and than gradually raise it back to your regular water source TDS via couple of water changes .

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    50-100 TDS would be optimal range for eggs to hatch , and than gradually raise it back to your regular water source TDS via couple of water changes .
    I agree.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    I agree.
    Nice to see you back Don . Its been quite some time since I saw updates of your discus , so please send some photos of them when you can .

P.s. Sorry for the offtopic Springer .

Registered Member

When water comes out of my tap at a tds of 25 how would u handle this to breed your discus and then raise the fry. My discus are in 90 tds but they seem not interested in breeding but they are very healthy with good appetites, I know it takes a lot more but the temp seems right

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    When water comes out of my tap at a tds of 25 how would u handle this to breed your discus and then raise the fry. My discus are in 90 tds but they seem not interested in breeding but they are very healthy with good appetites, I know it takes a lot more but the temp seems right
    I really envy your water. even when i live in Hawaii never have a water so soft. You can raise your water to the desire TDS with RO right salts, to the target number. Where you live?
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Registered Member

I live in a small town just 8 miles from a major city which is Regina Sask in Canada a funny thing is their tds is 600 yes one can use ro right but I have several tanks and it gets very expensive I have been using replenish works good but very expensive. Wish I could find a cheaper way/

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    I live in a small town just 8 miles from a major city which is Regina Sask in Canada a funny thing is their tds is 600 yes one can use ro right but I have several tanks and it gets very expensive I have been using replenish works good but very expensive. Wish I could find a cheaper way/
    Have you tried using a mix of your tap water to the RO instead of the Replenish? Many do this with great success.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

+1 for tap water.

Ian Fuller (the cory guy) recommends 1 part Epsom salt, 1 part marine salt and 2 parts calcium carbonate powder. Mix with RO in a 2 liter bottle and add by the cap full until the desired tds is achieved. Never tried it, but it sounds cheap and easy enough.

Registered Member

My tap water has a tds of 20 so mixing it with ro water would do nothing to raise the tds

Registered Member

Thanks Adam I will try that

Real Name
    Filip

Others use crushed corals in their filter compartments to gradually raise KH and TDS of the water . Increasing KH might impair your initial breeding plans in the egg hatching phase though .