ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: ph question

Registered Member

Default ph question

I know that ph isn't a huge concern as long as its stable but I'm ready to make a discus order finally and just making sure my water is safe and right I tested my water and my ph reading is between 8.2 and 8.3 aged. reading straight from tap is 7.4 I was just wondering will this ph be fine. when I use to keep discus if I remember right I believe I had them in 7.8 this water seems a little on the high side just wondering what you guys think I don't really want to mess with buffers or anything thanks

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: ph question

Contrary to popular belief, discus don't do as bad in water with high PH as they used to. Through captive breeding, discus have evolved to tolerate higher PH levels. My tank is filled with high level PH water that tests around 8.2. My fish have been fine and seen to be thriving.

Real Name
    Filip

I have the same PH values / Problems as yours Matt.
    This is the highest recommended level for keeping discus and as such IME it makes our margin of error much shorter as opposed to discus keepers with low PH range .
    Meaning you have to do more WC , and more maintenance to keep things more " sterile " to relive the pressure from their immune systems .

On the long run IMO a RO unit and a mix of tap and RO water to keep PH lower , would be the best thing to invest in when dealing with this kind of Parameters. This is my just personal opinion which I'm sure many others here may oppose.
    Last edited by Filip; 10-18-2017 at 04:02 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I have the same PH values / Problems as yours Matt.
    This is the highest recommended level for keeping discus and as such IME it makes our margin of error much shorter as opposed to discus keepers with low PH range .
    Meaning you have to do more WC , and more maintenance to keep things more " sterile " to relive the pressure from their immune systems .

On the long run IMO a RO unit and a mix of tap and RO water to keep PH lower , would be the best thing to invest in when dealing with this kind of Parameters. This is my just personal opinion which I'm sure many others here may oppose.

Ok thanks for the reply I'm going to try with the high ph levels without the ro water at first and see how they do. if I run into a bunch of issues I may give the ro unit a shot but I'm just going to age water and do 40 to 50 percent water changes every day or every other day and see how they do at first. I guess time will tell but thank you both for the replies I live in the same house when I use to keep discus its probally been 7 yrs or so since I was keeping them and I could of sworn that my ph was in the high 7 range never 8 wonder what happened