ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Bully

Real Name
    Mike

Exclamation Discus Bully

So I introduced a new discus to my tank about a week ago now. One of the smaller discus has been picking on him. It seems to get worse when they feed as well. It's not keeping the victim from eating but it's quite unpleasant to see, especially since the new discus is a much more expensive line. Any suggestions? If the problem persists, I'm even willing to sell the bully.

Default Re: Discus Bully

Quote Originally Posted by Myerushalmi View Post
    So I introduced a new discus to my tank about a week ago now. One of the smaller discus has been picking on him. It seems to get worse when they feed as well. It's not keeping the victim from eating but it's quite unpleasant to see, especially since the new discus is a much more expensive line. Any suggestions? If the problem persists, I'm even willing to sell the bully.
    How many fish in the tank? How long has it been? With a new addition you have change the dynamic of the tank. Give them some time to adjust. Keep in mind that discus are cichlids so they are aggressive fish despite their graceful appearance
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Filip

Agree with what Ryan said .
    If they are more than 6 the only thing left to do is to sit and wait 2-3 weeks after the new addition , to see if things will get better .
    If the aggression does not subside you can take the aggressor out in a QT and see if that would change anything in their dynamics .

Real Name
    Mike

I have 5 in the tank at the moment. It's only been about 10 days now. Seems like I should wait and see then.

I have 5 in the tank at the moment. It's only been about 10 days now. Seems like I should wait and see then.
    I would definitely wait. This is the reason discus are recommended in minimum groups of 5-6 so that the natural aggression is spread out.

That's not to say sometimes you may have an overly aggressive fish. I have a scorpion that is much more aggressive than others but it ramps up and down. Give them some time see how they adjust.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

When my fish get in the mood for breeding, or if I add new discus to the group, they scrap and bite each other, lose scales and split fins. I increase water changes to give them lots of clean fresh water and they heal up fast.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    When my fish get in the mood for breeding, or if I add new discus to the group, they scrap and bite each other, lose scales and split fins. I increase water changes to give them lots of clean fresh water and they heal up fast.
    I will admit, I do need to do more research on breeding habits. This might be the case.
    Thanks for reading!

Registered Member

You can also change the position of the decorations in the tank. It tends to throw off the discus who have been in the tank for awhile because they no longer feel that space is theirs so they need to get used to it,and tend to leave the new arrivals alone for a bit.

Real Name
    Sean

I know I’m probably gonna sound like a broken record here but you really should invest in a small quarantine tank for any future purchases or if you need to use it as a hospital tank in the event of disease. Trust me I learned the hard way about the value of quarantine and the consequences of not doing it. Since you weren’t able to quarantine the fish you should add 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons and keep a really close eye on your fish for the next two weeks. Odds are if it’s gonna go bad it’ll happen within 4-5 days but better safe than sorry.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    I know I’m probably gonna sound like a broken record here but you really should invest in a small quarantine tank for any future purchases or if you need to use it as a hospital tank in the event of disease. Trust me I learned the hard way about the value of quarantine and the consequences of not doing it. Since you weren’t able to quarantine the fish you should add 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons and keep a really close eye on your fish for the next two weeks. Odds are if it’s gonna go bad it’ll happen within 4-5 days but better safe than sorry.
    I have a 10 gallon medicine tank. Is that enough to quarantine?
    Thanks for reading!

Real Name
    Mike

I'm going to try that during this week's water change. We'll see.
    Thanks for reading!

Real Name
    Sean

I have a 10 gallon medicine tank. Is that enough to quarantine?
    You quarantine a fish before you add it to the tank with all of your other fish. Usually a 20-30 gallon tank and you observe the fish for four to six weeks to prevent mixing sick new fish with your healthy fish that you already have.