ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fry dying and melted finns.

Registered Member

Default Fry dying and melted finns.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Fries started to die about 1.5 weeks ago. This has intensified now and we have several deaths each day. In another tank we have some fish that is about 1 year. These showed melted finns yesterday.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Fry that die shows some symptoms. Some you see are going to die. They grow weak and turn dark. Others show no signs. They just lie dead when we come out

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    No treatment is issued. Since no other fish showed any symptoms we just figured it was bad genes. Monitored water values and kept up with water changes.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    It is a linked system. 3x100 liters tanks. 1 with 2 months old fry. Only about 50 left. One with one grown male discus. One with 8 l066 with fry. 1 sump 250 liters. 1 300 liters tank with 25 juvies. Total water volum is 850 lites

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Small water changes every 2 hours. 1-2 bigger changes a day. Total water changed each day is 600 liters

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Tanks have been running for 8 months. They are all bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I age my water between 8-24 hours. First water change is after 8 hours and last is about 24 hours. Then I refill the water resevoir. Ph from tap is 7.8. Ph when I do first water change is 6.8. Ph in tanks is about 6.6 - 6.8.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____28

- ph _____ 6.6

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____No reading

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____X

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    Added 11 juvies 2 weeks ago. They have been quaranteed for 21 days with pp baths every 3 days to kill parasites

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I feed home made food(shrimps, freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried artemia, freeze dried tubifex, vitamines, spirulina and cod), frosen artemia, frosen mussels, frosen krill, frosen blackworms, frozen white worms, frosen mysis and tetra discus bits. We feed every 2 hours and vacume all detrius before every new feeding.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Sorry for the low quality pictures. They do not cooperate.
    IMG_20171018_215629.jpg
    IMG_20171018_215731.jpg
    Last edited by Filip; 10-19-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language

Registered Member

Default Re: Fry dying and melted finns.

Update:
    I started treating with salt and furapond(could not find furan 2, I think it is the same). The juvies started to look better and the fry stopped dying. I could not do a large waterchange before since my water provider had had a breach in the main pipe and we had to boil water just to brush our teeth.
    Did not want to put my fish in that kind of water. After 24 hours on the furapond 1 juvie started to swim upside down. The next morning 2 was swimming upside down. I could still not change water. The water provider had just given the ok on the water so I was aging and warming water for a 100% water change later that night.
    Fry had started to die again. We lost 2 more. When I got home that night the two juvies(ofcourse the two biggest and nicest) were both dead. But the rest of the juvies looks good. There is a few more dead fry.
    I change 100% water and add salt. Decide to wait one day before starting treatment again and just add salt. The next morning, 3 more dead fry. Juvies are still looking good. When I get home that night, 1 more dead fry, juvies are looking better and have started begging for food again.
    I do a 80% water change and add salt and furapond(5 day treatment).
    This morning no more casualties. So fingers crossed that I will not loose any more fish