ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First discus tank

Registered Member

Default First discus tank

Hi all I just started building a tank and stand to keep discus and just wanted a little help with a few things and to keep track of my progress with my first discus tank. It’s a 33 g tank with a 29 g sump I’m making . I’m looking at just getting a few discus just to start off with but I have a long ways to go befor I get the fish . I have been doing a lot of research on them and watching videos on here trying to learn as much as I can . Here are a few pics of my setup so far .

res.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-22-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: First discus tank

I was looking at getting this light for it would this be a good choice Current USA 4012 36"-48" Satellite Plus Pro Led Light

Quote Originally Posted by Kfactor View Post
    I was looking at getting this light for it would this be a good choice Current USA 4012 36"-48" Satellite Plus Pro Led Light
    HI there and welcome!

That light may be too bright for this tank.. Can you fill us in on what you plan to do with the tank. Plants? Just DIscus? Bare? Also its important to understand going into this that your tank is going to be too small for more than a group of juveniles for a short time . That size tank is better suited to a breeding pair. Ideally a group of discus will do best in a 75 gal or bigger tank.. 55s are marginal for adult discus in many cases. many use 29 gals as breeders.

You want to give them room to swim around if you want them to healthy and want to enjoy them,

hth,
    Al4012 36"-48" Satellite Plus Pro Led Light
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply and I’m looking to maybe do a thin layer of sand a few peices of drift Wood and maybe 1to 2 plants just for some green . Am only looking to keep 2 to 3 discus in this tank

Real Name
    Mike

2-3 discus will not do well. One will get bullied relentlessly. You need a group of 6 to disperse aggression. With young group of discus, bare bottom tank is better and easier to keep clean with the amount of waste and the type of food that you should be feeding. Especially with a small tank that size.

Registered Member

K thanks for the advice am planing on doing a bigger tank once my basement is done I just didn’t want a huge weight load on my main floor I was wanting to go with a 125g when the time comes I appreciate all your guys opinions and help just don’t want to do the wrong thing .

Registered Member

What lighting do u guys recommend ?

What lighting do u guys recommend ?
    Lighting is all personal preference but the light you are looking at is a really nice light. Yes it can be too much light but the nice thing is you can customize the spectrum and intensity to fit your needs
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Am just about to buy filter media this week for my sump and looking for advice on what works best and what order works best it is a submerged sump

Am just about to buy filter media this week for my sump and looking for advice on what works best and what order works best it is a submerged sump
    Good mechanical filtration is important whether it be filter socks or something like poret foam. Other than that lots of bio media. I use matrix and substrat pro but there are lots of options.

Are you still planning discus for this tank ?

Registered Member

Yes I would like to get some for this tank I was thinking a pair as am going to be picking up a 125g for my basement when it gets finished .

Registered Member

477B370B-91AB-4CE4-AEFF-D983C25F9421.jpg this is what I have so fare

Registered Member

All be getting a bigger return pump was just a Mock up

Keep in mind when people say you can keep a "pair" they are referring to a confirmed breeding pair which can be big $ you won't necessarily be able to just put two fish together.

How long til you get your 125? Can you wait til then for discus?

Real Name
    Mike

If not a confirmed pair, the dominant one will bully the other (even if they are a pair, sometimes that will happen and you would have to separate them). Discus are a schooling fish and you need to have numbers to dilute the aggression. Better just to wait on the larger tank and get a group all at one time. In the 125 you could get 10-12 comfortably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast