ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My snakeskins eggs hatched!

Default Re: My snakeskins eggs hatched!

Its been a while since I updated on my "snakeskins" I have 4 of the 5 that made it still. The 5th was a fussy eater and just would not eat on its own. The 4 I have are doing very well. Ones a tad smaller than its siblings due to a slow start eating but has been catching up. They are about 17 inches long right now at about 11 months. Its hard taking a group shot of teenage snakes but we tried.

2018-09-12 16.24.51.jpg

2018-09-12 16.28.48.jpg

2018-09-12 16.26.47.jpg

2018-09-12 16.26.12.jpg

2018-09-12 16.27.43.jpg

2018-09-12 16.29.37.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Looking great Al. How long do they actually get? Is there a good market for them or will you just keep them?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Thanks Joe. They can get 5-8 feet so very manageable. I have sold them before. These arent too common.These would sell very quickly but I will be holding onto them. I have 3 generations now..I have the male from the original pair still plus 2 of its kids and then this group. I want to out cross them now to wild type Rat Snakes.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I think they are gorgeous Al and I love snakes. If you breed one to a wild-type rat snake will you get a mix of albino and wild-type young?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat! If I breed them to wilds I would get an F1 that looks wild and carries the albino Gene...Just like in Discus ... If I breed f1xf1.. Then I will get a mix of All wild type (25%), wild types carrying Albino (50%)genes and Albino snakes (25%).

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Albino intermediates I’ve heard of those before LOL
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thanks Joe. They can get 5-8 feet so very manageable. I have sold them before. These arent too common.These would sell very quickly but I will be holding onto them. I have 3 generations now..I have the male from the original pair still plus 2 of its kids and then this group. I want to out cross them now to wild type Rat Snakes.

al
    I've always liked reptiles, but especially snakes. I've seen many out in the bush here, and even a few in my yard, but the only problem is that they are very venomous. Good luck with your breeding project.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

I know Joe you guys got the lions share of poison critters! And your venomous snakes are cobra related and some of the worst bad boys out there.Nothing like having 100 different species of poisonous snakes out of 170 different species! Here in CT, We have 2 poisonous and a handful not poisonous..and the ones we have arent anywhere near as bad as yours! Between that and 187 species of carnivorous plants...Im jealous as all heck!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jody M.

Those snakes are awesome - we have rat snakes out here in Tennessee that I have ran into over the years.

I would be curious to see what the cross between a black rat snake and an albino would look like.
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

That’s incredible Al. The fact that you weren’t expecting them and they look great! I was just wondering about them since it was about a year ago I remember hearing they had laid eggs or I was wondering if they had hatched. It was around the time our sail club does a clambake which is coming up next week.

Your pics are great... maybe it will start a new trend.... I mean the Teenage muntant turtles went wild.... Why not snakes???

Real Name
    Dave

Al,
    Why is it that I now have Frank Zappa's song "Baby Snakes" stuck in my head?????

Darn you man!
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Al, what's the difference between rat and corn snakes? Google says corn snakes are a type of rat snake, but I've never heard of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Al, what's the difference between rat and corn snakes? Google says corn snakes are a type of rat snake, but I've never heard of the latter.
    There you go.. just goes to show you can't believe everything google says!Lol. well its not entirely wrong. Rat snakes and corn snakes are closely related. They are members of the same Genus ( Pantherophis), but different species. They are so closely related they can hybridize.. The term "rat snake" is a broad general one for many species.Mine are albino Black Ratsnakes, Pantherophis obsoletus Corn snakes don't get as big as Black Ratsnakes can and tend to be more gentle and less prone to biting they say. .. they are your typical petshop corn snakes.. and literally have been cross bred much like our domestic discus.

I prefer the Black Ratsnakes and Grey Ratsnakes.... but I have had some beautiful corn snakes over the years.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Summers over now and as usual, my Albino rat snakes bred , laying eggs in July, and they have been hatching the last week.. We got 18 eggs this time, one of her biggest clutches. From them 13 eggs have hatched, the 5 remaining may still hatch but I'm guessing not.

I still have 4 of the ones from the last batch in 2017, and the grandfather and parents of them. They are really great critters to keep. Easy and interesting to watch. Looking back now, I think I have been keeping Rat snakes for something like 35 years now... had snakes before Discus by a few years.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast