AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My snakeskins eggs hatched!

Default Re: My snakeskins eggs hatched!

AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

That is the coolest...
    What about time lapse photography? Sounds like a project for 2 clever young people I know who happen to have an in house instructor...
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

looks like I will have a total of 6 baby snakes here...5 have fully hatched ...one last one has his snout out .. the other eggs did not survive. 50% hatch rate is not bad at all for not even expecting eggs!

Im very happy right now. Its been a long time since we had baby snakes here.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    looks like I will have a total of 6 baby snakes here...5 have fully hatched ...one last one has his snout out .. the other eggs did not survive. 50% hatch rate is not bad at all for not even expecting eggs!

Im very happy right now. Its been a long time since we had baby snakes here.
    Congratulations! That is really amazing! I bet they are just adorable. Many of my friends were surprised how much I enjoyed holding that one big snake when I was at your place. I have a new found respect for these creatures and the fact that they have reproduced shows the great care you are giving them. It will be fun watching them grow. I hope you continue to keep us posted on their progress!

Your kids are so lucky to be witnessing all of this!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That is great news Al. I bet the kids will enjoy raising these guys. I love snakes and have handle them since I was a kid. Hope you keep the pictures coming. Just curious, what would you have done differently when expecting eggs?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat its alot easier if you use an incubator. In the past I have made one from a fishtank.. aquarium heater and secondary container of sphagnum moss but this time I just didnt have time and the eggs could have sitting there for a week. I really didnt think they would hatch. I probably could have had all the eggs hatch if I had been better prepared.
    oh well 6 is fine. they are all doing very well.

heres the first 5..the 6th hasnt come out yet...
    2017-10-24 10.21.18.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-24-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

When will you offer them the first meal Al? After they all finish hatching?
    Pat

Sometimes they eat right out of the shell, but most of the time we wait until after their first shed , with these guys that should be in about a week or so.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

They should be good and hungry by then. It is amazing how fast snakes grow when feed regularly. These guys are in excellent condition.
    Pat

Real Name
    Phil

Very cool and fascinating. I have always liked snakes but been sorta afraid of them...

Any pics of the parents? Their colors look nice, do they stay that way? What size are they now and how big can they get at adulthood?

Phil these hatchlings are the size of a pencil at this point. They can grow between 6 and 8 feet long on average and live up to 20years. One of our adults is approaching that now.

You can see some pics I posted of them here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...akes-this-year

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Phil

Thanks!! Care to expand on this further " for me none match up to rat snakes as far temperment and just plain coolness factor."

Would love to hear more. Do they like to be handled?

Different species of snakes have different temperaments. Rat and corn snakes are easy to handle. They dont usually mind being handled. They rarely ever musk you.(think stinky skunk smell) . They are personable and easy to care for. King snakes and milk snakes are also very good temperament wise. The thing I like best about the ratsnakes is they are constrictors like boas and pythons but they do not ever get big enough to pose a threat to us or our children/dogs or cats. But being constrictors they are good climbers and they wrap around you. You can literally walk around with one as a bracelet for hours. They just are really cool. I used to do many reptile workshops with kids years back and the snakes are just the right size for kids to be enthralled,interested, not afraid and not in danger.

PYTHONS AND BOAS have size on their side but they arent always easy to handle. Some get too big for anyone but the experienced to care for . Though you can handle them they can bite and when they do it can be a big ouch! They also hunt by heat ... and we are warm blooded!

Of Course these are my personal views and Im sure other snake keepers are equally enamored with their favorite species.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Different species of snakes have different temperaments. Rat and corn snakes are easy to handle. They dont usually mind being handled. They rarely ever musk you.(think stinky skunk smell) . They are personable and easy to care for. King snakes and milk snakes are also very good temperament wise. The thing I like best about the ratsnakes is they are constrictors like boas and pythons but they do not ever get big enough to pose a threat to us or our children/dogs or cats. But being constrictors they are good climbers and they wrap around you. You can literally walk around with one as a bracelet for hours. They just are really cool. I used to do many reptile workshops with kids years back and the snakes are just the right size for kids to be enthralled,interested, not afraid and not in danger.

PYTHONS AND BOAS have size on their side but they arent always easy to handle. Some get too big for anyone but the experienced to care for . Though you can handle them they can bite and when they do it can be a big ouch! They also hunt by heat ... and we are warm blooded!

Of Course these are my personal views and Im sure other snake keepers are equally enamored with their favorite species.
    They are beautiful! Do they stay pink? I used to have a boa. She got huge. After I became pregnant I gave her away. These look amazing though. I love the way you described them, their temperament and wearing them as a bracelet. I don't normally wear jewelry but I'd love to wear one of your snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    They are beautiful! Do they stay pink? I used to have a boa. She got huge. After I became pregnant I gave her away. These look amazing though. I love the way you described them, their temperament and wearing them as a bracelet. I don't normally wear jewelry but I'd love to wear one of your snakes.

Having actually held one of Al's Rat snakes I must say he was very sweet! The only snake I've ever held but he was very patient with me. The snake and Al! It's funny because just yesterday one of my boys at school asked to see the photo and I actually found it. They really have beautiful coloring.

How are the babies doing now Al? When should the turtle eggs hatch?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast