ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Noob here just saying hello

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Default Noob here just saying hello

Hello everybody,

My name is Steve and I live in the City of Orange in southern California.

I had written a post in a different thread under General Discus Discussion - Tell us about yourselves, asking new people to introduce themselves here however it has yet to be posted. I received a message saying the post must be approved by a moderator. This was last week on Thursday or Friday I believe.

So here is another one. I saw the video posted under Discus Basics for Beginners - Are you new to discus? WATCH THIS VIDEO!. Great video, really opened my eyes that these fish aren't as fragile as once thought.

I have always been drawn to Discus and Angels for that matter, yet I have never set up a fish tank for either species. I have been in and out of the hobby for the past 13 or so years, with mostly saltwater reef tanks.

Currently I getting prepared to set a sea horse tank for my daughter's birthday. Not that it will be ready by her birthday, but I am acquiring the equipment now for it. I have the tank and stand but I am thinking of designing my own stand due to the suggested requirements needed to keep sea horses.

So I am here to hopefully learn more about Discus fish and being able to keep them. Also maybe, be able to meet with others who keep Discus and Angels, not necessarily together, to be able to share thoughts and ideas in the hobby, and just talk fish.

Hope to meet some of you and I will be lurking for a while and probably asking questions.

Steve

Default Re: Noob here just saying hello

Welcome Steve. Ask lots and lots of questions. That's the best thing you can do. It will pay off later
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I will. I tend to read a lot also and use common sense in everything I do. I also like to keep things simple. So far it seems like a lot of read I have read, it seems to be pretty straight forward in keeping discus. I have to admit, I do like a more natural looking environment for fish. I have a couple of ideas I am playing around with, but it I won't be able to try anything until sometime next year.

Hi Steve and welcome..my friend Ryan up there is usually the first one to answer the door here. I haven't been able to be on as much lately but also enjoy welcoming new discus enthusiasts.

I have a 75 gallon about to be upgraded to a 125 and I also have a reef tank. I just took down my community 75 since it wasn't getting any attention.
    Finding a balance between a natural looking environment and a clean one can be a bit tricky. I chose the bare bottom route but have a large piece of drift wood with java moss on it. Even that collects a lot of stuff. I am constantly having to "mow" that moss.

Discus are truly amazing and extremely addicting. We are lucky to have many great sponsors here that sell awesome stock. Ryan and I went with Kenny's Discus and are both very loyal customers to him.

Do you have an idea of what you will go with as far as tank size and discus varieties? Some choose a single strain others go for the "variety pack." I personally love all of the different colors and patterns and have a really nice rainbow going on.
    Big colorful balloons floating that can be seen from most points on my first floor since the tank is built in between two rooms.
    Keep us posted as you get closer to setting up. Keep haunting the forum and like Ryan said ask tons of questions. Don't get caught up in the newbie mistakes we all made it costs so much time and money doing it the wrong way.... This is such a wonderful community, very family like...
    Welcome and enjoy....
    Last edited by Jenene; 10-24-2017 at 05:53 AM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Steve and welcome to Simply. I approved the post you mentioned in the first post. It is easy for moderated posts to get buried so sorry about that. While you are learning about discus feel from to post pictures of your other tanks.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi Steve, welcome from an "almost noob", I have benefitted a great deal from all the advice from this forum. I had decided on growing out juvies so went for the bare bottom setup and I can see why it pays dividends. Lots of folks here have been messing with these fish for decades so they know their stuff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hi Steve and welcome..my friend Ryan up there is usually the first one to answer the door here. I haven't been able to be on as much lately but also enjoy welcoming new discus enthusiasts.

I have a 75 gallon about to be upgraded to a 125 and I also have a reef tank. I just took down my community 75 since it wasn't getting any attention.
    Finding a balance between a natural looking environment and a clean one can be a bit tricky. I chose the bare bottom route but have a large piece of drift wood with java moss on it. Even that collects a lot of stuff. I am constantly having to "mow" that moss.

Discus are truly amazing and extremely addicting. We are lucky to have many great sponsors here that sell awesome stock. Ryan and I went with Kenny's Discus and are both very loyal customers to him.

Do you have an idea of what you will go with as far as tank size and discus varieties? Some choose a single strain others go for the "variety pack." I personally love all of the different colors and patterns and have a really nice rainbow going on.
    Big colorful balloons floating that can be seen from most points on my first floor since the tank is built in between two rooms.
    Keep us posted as you get closer to setting up. Keep haunting the forum and like Ryan said ask tons of questions. Don't get caught up in the newbie mistakes we all made it costs so much time and money doing it the wrong way.... This is such a wonderful community, very family like...
    Welcome and enjoy....
    Thank you Jenene! I was originally thinking of going with a 75 gallon, but I believe I can get a 90 gallon with the same footprint. As far as which strain I don't know yet, I think I will go with a variety, as there are too many I like plus I would to include my wife and daughter and that way they can pick which ones they would like.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Carey View Post
    Thank you Jenene! I was originally thinking of going with a 75 gallon, but I believe I can get a 90 gallon with the same footprint. As far as which strain I don't know yet, I think I will go with a variety, as there are too many I like plus I would to include my wife and daughter and that way they can pick which ones they would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Steve and welcome to Simply. I approved the post you mentioned in the first post. It is easy for moderated posts to get buried so sorry about that. While you are learning about discus feel from to post pictures of your other tanks.
    Pat
    NO worries Pat. I appreciate it. I will be starting up a seahorse tank for my daughter in the next few months so I will post pictures of that while I'm in the process. I am looking at if I want to design and build the stand for it. We'll see.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi Steve, welcome from an "almost noob", I have benefitted a great deal from all the advice from this forum. I had decided on growing out juvies so went for the bare bottom setup and I can see why it pays dividends. Lots of folks here have been messing with these fish for decades so they know their stuff
    Hey Paul, I was thinking of starting off the same way. There are a few people that are somewhat local to me, within an hours drive or so, that have had fry in the past and sold them at a really good deal, I thought about doing that to get my feet wet, without spending a lotta "dooouuugh". Anyway I have some time to think about it.