AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Northfin Krill Gold/Pro

Registered Member

Default Northfin Krill Gold/Pro

I just got a new bag of this stuff and my discus and africans won't hardly touch the stuff. The last bag they eagerly chomped it down. If it was just the discus, I would chalk it up to them being their usual picky selves. But with the african cichlids not eating it (they'd eat gravel if I sprinkled it in their tank), I'm wondering if I got a bad batch or something. Anyone else have this issue?

Registered Member

Default Re: Northfin Krill Gold/Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    I just got a new bag of this stuff and my discus and africans won't hardly touch the stuff. The last bag they eagerly chomped it down. If it was just the discus, I would chalk it up to them being their usual picky selves. But with the african cichlids not eating it (they'd eat gravel if I sprinkled it in their tank), I'm wondering if I got a bad batch or something. Anyone else have this issue?
    Hi, so I just got some northfin 1mm pellets today and tried to feed it to my discus. As you said it's not easy, although with mine they eat it and spit it, because it's really hard.

So what I did was put it in garlic guard for a while and soften it, it gets a bit messier but they are some of it.

I hope they actually get used to it and eat the hard stuff, I wonder if someone else has any experience with this here. This northfin krill gold seems really good from the ingredients and would be good to have my discus eating it, even the smell is not bad.

Registered Member

Yeah, I've since gotten another bag of the stuff and neither the discus nor my african tank will eat it. So I gave up. My africans love the vegi northfin and I switched to NLS flake for the discus. Neither is too fond of the Northfin bug bites either.

Registered Member

In the past few days I've been able to get them to eat it. Most of the time by putting some garlic guard and just feeding on tweezers. Now they are starting to eat even the ones I drop straight on the water. The alphas of my tank later go on the bottom and eat the sunken pellets, though the more fussy eaters really need to be hand fed.

I'm looking to the time that all of them eat the pellets with no need for shenanigans...

Registered Member

Just letting you know it worked for me ... I don't even need to soak it anymore o garlic guard. They are eating the pellets straight away without spitting...

I will let you know how they develop with these pellets... If youd still like to try with your discus you should try some tactics to make them eat it...

Real Name
    Ralph

I'm going to have to get my buddy (owner of NorthFin) to step it up a notch.
    ...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 12-19-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I use there cichlid pellets & no problem. The bug bites are enjoyed by all, discus,angels,cichlids, tetras. I just ordered more. JUST MY EXPERIENCE.

Registered Member

Yeah, mine will eat the cichlid pellets and even the vegi ones too. But I'll just stick with the flake for now. I think they are also becoming addicted to the pe mysis and bloodworms. That may have contributed to the problem as well.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

My frontosa group went nuts over the krill gold, but it is very pricey compared to the other NF foods. I bought the cichlid pellets and they spat it out and left it to rot on the bottom of my tank. I guess the krill turned out to be better value since they ate it and not the other, lol.
    I have read many reviews with similar experiences over the past year...
    Ralph, if your buddy has changed his formula, I would encourage him to change it back. I had heard nothing but positive reviews up until this past year...