ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Finally Got Some Discus!

Real Name
    Greg

Default Finally Got Some Discus!

Hey everyone first time Discus keeper always wanted to but have always thought it would be too difficult. With a bit of a free'ed up schedule I can provide the proper care for these guys. What do you guys think of these? Got them from Uncle Sam's Discus. Planning on getting 3 more on their next stock!
    IMG_6710.jpgIMG_6709.jpgIMG_6709.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gregkarr09; 11-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Finally Got Some Discus!

Hi Greg and welcome to discus .
    Your discus have good colours and round shape . They still got some growing up to do and they look very promising already . Your angels look great too.
    How long do you have the discus ? How did the mixing with the angels and rams went through ?
    Did you Quarantined them first ?
    I would put prefilrlter sponges on your canister intakes to prevent food and debris build up in the filter materials .

It would be nice if you can add some additional info. about the tank size , filtration , planned waterchange regime etc. You can also open a thread about your tank in "our tank journal" subforum and fill the tank questionnaire there for full info on your tank and fish . its easier that way for members to give you better advices about your keeping practices.
    Good luck with your first discus and I hope that they will grow on you in time .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Welcome Greg!!! Your discus look great. I've seen nothing but beautiful fish coming from Uncle Sam's, do you live close enough to drive there? The angels and rams look really good too, keep an eye during feeding that the discus are getting enough to eat. From my experience, angels are much more aggressive during feedings than discus so just keep an eye on it and separate if needed. Welcome to SD, you will find a wealth of knowledge here.
    ~JACKLYN~

where is the diver and treasure chest? ^__^ jk, lovely fish

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi Greg and welcome to discus .
    Your discus have good colours and round shape . They still got some growing up to do and they look very promising already . Your angels look great too.
    How long do you have the discus ? How did the mixing with the angels and rams went through ?
    Did you Quarantined them first ?
    I would put prefilrlter sponges on your canister intakes to prevent food and debris build up in the filter materials .

It would be nice if you can add some additional info. about the tank size , filtration , planned waterchange regime etc. You can also open a thread about your tank in "our tank journal" subforum and fill the tank questionnaire there for full info on your tank and fish . its easier that way for members to give you better advices about your keeping practices.
    Good luck with your first discus and I hope that they will grow on you in time .
    Hi There, thanks for the great advice, filter floss is a great idea! I have been turning off the filters for feeding time. I've had the discus for 4 days now, The mixing with the angels went great but the angels have been rehoused to other people. The tank is a 55 gallon, (I'm going to be setting up a rimless 120 gallon that they will live out their lives in) filter's now are aquaclear 110 HOB and whisper 60 HOB(instead of carbon in the filter cartridge I put fluval ceramic stones) Do you think that is a good idea or what else can I do with the whisper 60, I kinda rather use it as a sump, any ideas would be appreciated. I do a 30% W/C everyday or every other day, I feed Cobalt pellets in the morning, Live California black worms as a middle of the day snack, and freezdried tubifex worms or frozen bloodworms at night. Should i stop the live worms I'm scared of giving them a parasite.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Welcome Greg!!! Your discus look great. I've seen nothing but beautiful fish coming from Uncle Sam's, do you live close enough to drive there? The angels and rams look really good too, keep an eye during feeding that the discus are getting enough to eat. From my experience, angels are much more aggressive during feedings than discus so just keep an eye on it and separate if needed. Welcome to SD, you will find a wealth of knowledge here.
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes I do live close enough to drive there, thats probably not a good thing for my wallet hahaha. The Angels have been sold to good new homes so now it's all about the discus the rams and cory's clean up after them. I am really wanting to put like a quarter inch or half an inch of white sand, do you think I should hold off?

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    where is the diver and treasure chest? ^__^ jk, lovely fish
    hahaha I know I hate the fake wood thingy I'm alway looking for that perfect piece of driftwood, that will come soon.

Real Name
    Filip

I would stay out of Live blood worms and FD tubifex worms because they are known to be pathogen carriers. I'm hesitant about the live Californian blackworms too .Hoping someone with experience of live blackworms will chime in .

If you desperately want to put some sand just to cover the glass bottom , go ahead and do it .
    Be prepared to put extra work with daily siphoning and keeping it clean though.

Real Name
    Greg

I would stay out of Live blood worms and FD tubifex worms because they are known to be pathogen carriers. I'm hesitant about the live Californian blackworms too .Hoping someone with experience of live blackworms will chime in .

If you desperately want to put some sand just to cover the glass bottom , go ahead and do it .
    Be prepared to put extra work with daily siphoning and keeping it clean though.
    Gotcha, I feed hikari frozen blood worms, going to stop the Live California Black worms just cause if they do introduce something I'll be so mad at myself lol. They just love it so much. I think it's what got them to spawn actually that and daily water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregkarr09 View Post
    Gotcha, I feed hikari frozen blood worms, going to stop the Live California Black worms just cause if they do introduce something I'll be so mad at myself lol. They just love it so much. I think it's what got them to spawn actually that and daily water changes.
    Can't go wrong with Als many varieties of food. Freeze dried black worms, discus chow fdbw pellets and bio gold all have worked well for my fish
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Can't go wrong with Als many varieties of food. Freeze dried black worms, discus chow fdbw pellets and bio gold all have worked well for my fish
    Sweet thanks! I'll look into it!

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Sorry if you don't mind me asking what is als? or Al's? I am familiar with NLS....

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Gregkarr09 View Post
    Sorry if you don't mind me asking what is als? or Al's? I am familiar with NLS....
    Al Sabetta is the name of this forums owner Greg.
    He also owns company named Aquatic suppliers that sells foods for our fish. Here is a link from Aquatic suppliers:

http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Greg

Al Sabetta is the name of this forums owner Greg.
    He also owns company named Aquatic suppliers that sells foods for our fish. Here is a link from Aquatic suppliers:

http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com
    Awesome thanks, I'll be sure to buy some food from there, Thanks.