ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New need stocking info please.

Registered Member

Default New need stocking info please.

I recently got a 55gallon corner tank with a wet/dry trickle filter underneath. I've had fish tanks in the past but always HOB filters so this is my first experience with this type of filter system. My main question is with stocking as I've never kept discus before. How many discus should I buy so when they reach adult size will be comfortable in the tank and all so how many dither fish and corys in this 55 gallon corner tank assuming everything at adult size? I've done all the research on water parameters and water changes and quality but searching google found no real answers to my stocking question. Thank you.

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Re: New need stocking info please.

You can safely add 5 discus and maybe 5-6 corydoras in a 55 gallon. A basic average is 1 discus per 10 gallons.

I have 6 in my 55gal, its not a corner tank however.
    I sounds like you have a grasp on the basics but make sure you are fully cycled before getting your Discus, they (and their food) is a huge bioload.

What are the dimensions? Being a 55 corner it may not be the greatest footprint for discus so it may limit your stocking
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Sean

My experience has been that i had much better growth rates growing out six Discus from 2.5 inches to 6+ inches in a 30 gallon long than I did with another group of 9 in a 50 gallon bow front. I had a similar experience and results with my 55 long to the 30 gallon long. I honestly think that Discus do best in rectangular shape tanks and even though it’s the last thing you want to hear, you’d be better off either going with buying adults or raising juveniles in another tank and then transferring over adult size fish down the road.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    My experience has been that i had much better growth rates growing out six Discus from 2.5 inches to 6+ inches in a 30 gallon long than I did with another group of 9 in a 50 gallon bow front. I had a similar experience and results with my 55 long to the 30 gallon long. I honestly think that Discus do best in rectangular shape tanks and even though it’s the last thing you want to hear, you’d be better off either going with buying adults or raising juveniles in another tank and then transferring over adult size fish down the road.
    I don't think your results had anything to do with the shape of the tank Sean but rather with its size . Its common that baby-discus grow faster in smaller tanks because they don't waste too much energy swimming around and searching for food like they do in big tanks .