AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Juvenile / Adults (brand new to hobby)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Juvenile / Adults (brand new to hobby)

Good day,

Yes im brand new. I haven't started cycling my tank yet. But I have a 125g tall tank I plan on low tech planting and adding Discus.

Ive scoured this forum and have seen a lot of great info that is confirming that I want to keep Discus BUT! I just read Juvies do not do well in a planted tank and are much better off in a bare bottom while they grow. Is this pretty legit? I am asking because my LFS has a huge selection of great looking discus but they are all 2-3" And nicely priced. Not sure I want to drop $600 on fish and not have them succeed.. lol

Trench

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Juvenile / Adults (brand new to hobby)

Yes, what you have read is the opinion of most. Take some pictures of these "LFS" discus and post here before you decide to buy. Those stores charge outrageous prices for low quality. Most times you are better off getting them shipped to you from one of the sponsors here. You will get better quality, selection and it shouldn't cost as much even with shipping included.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Thanks. From what ive seen on here and at the store they all look good. Mind linking some good places to buy online? Ive never done it yet and prefer using my LFS but always up for better options.

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Yes, what you have read is the opinion of most. Take some pictures of these "LFS" discus and post here before you decide to buy. Those stores charge outrageous prices for low quality. Most times you are better off getting them shipped to you from one of the sponsors here. You will get better quality, selection and it shouldn't cost as much even with shipping included.
    +1

Typically what we see here is lfs purchases not turning out well. Not only due to quality of fish but also due to their care of lack thereof. Often times these discus are not being provided the level of care needed and more often are cross contaminated with other fish in the store due to shared water, equipment etc

This is not to say your lfs is not an exception to this but something to be aware of. All too often we see.newbies fail due to purchasing poor quality or sick fish which otherwise appear healthy at time of purchase.

Take a look at the sponsor page and compare the quality and pricing to what is being offered by your lfs
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Thanks!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I have been in your shoes, stalked about this forum for a year before getting a dozen 2" juvies to put in my 100gal. I followed the common wisdom and left the tank bare bottom and now glad I did so. With the ammount of leftover food and detritus having sand, decor and plants would be a major obstacle to cleaning up and wiping the mucus off the glass. If the reason you want decor and plants is purely aesthetic then go for different fish (either adult discus or different species) or risk making a lot more work and potential trouble for yourself.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Kris and welcome to SD. Do you mind telling us where your LFS is located? There are a few good ones out there. I'd echo Paul's comments about aesthetics. Hard to argue that discus are some of the most beautiful fish out there, and the idea of having living artwork in the form of a large display tank is very appealing. But folks who have kept discus a while often come to realize it's all about the fish and their behavior and interactions, rather than the scenery.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Im not worried about the scenery. I can grow them and then add scenery. Thanks for all the help. I will continue to research.

I live in Milwaukee Wi.

Real Name
    Steve

Cool! I grew up in Brown Deer. Visited family in Milwaukee last summer, driving up after the NADA show in Chicago. Met at Miller Field. I've been in Oregon for some time now. Good luck with your tank.
    Steve
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Just wanted to add, depending on the size of group you are looking at starting with, you may want to think about a smaller tank - a 125 to grow out 6-10 fish would be a bit overkill IMO and you will be changing a LOT of water

Check out the sponsors - much more secure way to buy IMO as you KNOW they are coming from someone who knows/cares about these fish. My LFS has Discus too - poor things all have sunken stomachs and they want 70 bucks for these sickly looking 2-3" fish!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Thanks Steve. I just recently moved back from Hosuton.

Registered Member

I have just started a new tank and I am a discuss newb as well. I bought 3 juveniles, not particular about colors but I have had problems regarding mixing the fish. The problem with buying from the LFS is that if you want to get more fish, or if a couple die on you and then you want to buy more you are stuck because when you mix two sources half of your fish will get sick and maybe die,and the other half will be fine.

As someone just starting out I highly advise to buy from only one source, from one breeder and by reading the forums I hear that you will have less problems when buying multiple fish. Fish from the LFS come from who knows where and cant guarantee the same source every time.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Trench View Post
    Thanks. From what ive seen on here and at the store they all look good. Mind linking some good places to buy online? Ive never done it yet and prefer using my LFS but always up for better options.
    You got plenty of good advices already Kris and I agree with all of them .
    I will just point you to the sponsor section on this forum if you want to find a quallity discus seller in your area or if you decide to buy quallity discus online :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...iscus-Sponsors