ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! What is happening to my water??

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default HELP! What is happening to my water??

IMG_9940.jpg
    Not sure if the picture is going to work since I am trying to tom mobile. But for 2 full weeks now I have what seems to be an insane algae bloom that gets worse everyday and with every WC. I use RO/DI water and this tank/filter entire setup has been established and running for a year. I have never had this issue and frankly don't even know what it is. I have picked my WCs back up to daily and it is just as bad an hour later. Source water is crystal clear. Did a full filter clean 2 weeks ago which I guess is about when this started to happen.

Is there a way to kill this off or do I need to drain the entire tank and start over??

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: HELP! What is happening to my water??

How long are your lights on for during the day? Any direct sunlight on the tank? You could cover the tank and do a dark out for a couple days or get a UV.

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    How long are your lights on for during the day? Any direct sunlight on the tank? You could cover the tank and do a dark out for a couple days or get a UV.
    +1

Real Name
    Steve

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking the algae needs nutrients to grow. Could there be a change there somehow? Phosphates in the water? Just trying to think of things.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Hey guys, sorry just saw these replies. My lights are usually on about 11 hrs a day and always have been. Tank has also been in the same spot from the start with no direct sunlight. I have been turning my daylights off, but my leds also have a blue moon light that comes on that I have not been turning off. Even with only a few hours of light a day I have seen no improvements. Parameters are in check although I do not have a phos test.
    Should I continue to black out the tank for another few days while doing WCs? I will actually see if I can use my fathers UV sterilizer for a few days, unfortunately can't afford one right now. Thanks for the help

Real Name
    Willie

Your best shot is to just turn off the lights. I only turn on my lights in the mornings and evenings when I'm home. They're for you, but for the fish.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

Then your filter clean caused a slight increase in ammonia (nutrients).Stop feeding for a day or so or cut back,til the water clears.Still do your WC's.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Seems to be improving a bit with continuing the blackout & very minimal feed. No ammonia spikes. It's strange, it's almost like all the algae growth I used to have has gone "airborne" for lack of a better term(liquidborne? Lol) and just floats around as opposed to settling or sticking in anything. All sides of the aquarium, rocks, driftwood, everything would get covered but the water was never green or cloudy. Now it is the exact opposite. I'll keep doing what I'm doing for now, then I'm going to drain the tank if there's no improvement in a few days.

wow, algae party! Time for big water change ^^, some pp would help

Real Name
    Phil

Not to be in your pocket but they do have some rather cheap UV offerings, under 40 bucks. I bet in an instance like this that would clear you up but good... it is still helpful to find the root of the issue.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

I agree and would love to know the cause. It was almost like new tank syndrome after I cleaned out the filter & media, then I was sick and out of commission for over a week and was unable to do any ware changes during this time, so I just assumed poor WC schedule as well as cleaning maybe TOO much of the BB out of the filter and it just could keep up.
    The continued blackout, minimal feeding and daily sate changes have showed big improvement over the last 3 days.

I'm installing one of these 36W units tomorrow on a tank. If it doesn't leak tough to beat the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-UV...72.m2749.l2649

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

What you are having is an algae bloom. Like HarryDK said do a large water change . That will help to reduce the phosphates but the more water changes you do the better. Get yourself an api phosphate test kit. They are not expansive at the larger pet stores. And the next thing you must do is raise up your lights. If you don’t do that even the UVs won’t help , because the algae settle down and more algaes will grow. The more water changes the better. Petco sells a product that will kill the algae spores and it will also kill some plants like mosses. I know about this because I went through this myself and I have plants. Stay on the WCs , get the phosphate test kit and be sure to raise your lights . I suspended my lights 6” above my tank and so far that has helped and also reduce the photo period down to 6 hrs. , not 11 hrs.
    Last edited by navarro1950; 11-11-2017 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

I forgot to suggest that you should take any decorations out and soak them in a mild solution of bleach and water. It looks like you have large rocks so this will be easy. If those plants are plastic them to. I even took my drift wood out of my tank and sprayed it a solution of muratic acid and pressure washed it ( the pressure washing got rid of the acid).

pea soup
    look up diatom filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast