AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flake food recommendatons

Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

I sent him a link to this thread so he will know that now there are 5 of us so far.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

dumb question here but that has not ever stopped me before.... granules VS pellets is there a difference? is one better than the other?

The granules are more porous so they break down on the bottom of the tank faster. That makes them better for young fry. The pellets are better for Adults and older juvies. They sink to the bottom and stay whole so the fish can graze on them in a leisurely manner. I'd actually be interested in trying both.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

thanks makes more clear to an ole foggy

My Captain just got back with me. He can only make it in powder (good for adding to your home made food) and granules. I've just asked him if he has some made up. I really want to try it, especially for my Discus and Angel grow outs. It would be a nice change of pace for my adult fish, too.
    Mama Bear

Final up-date. He only makes the granules by special order since he doesn't advertise it. He can have it by mid week. I want to try some but I don't want him to make up a batch just for me. If you want to try it please contact him. captainbobsfood@gmail.com
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Patty, if you want to try the Bug let me know. I was the one who told Bob about those bugs after I heard a story about them on NPR. When he first made them he only made the powder. If he's making it in granules and pellets now I want to buy some, too.
    I should have some granules Sat. Looking forward to seeing how the fish like it!

Fluval makes a pellet called bug bites.. soldier fly and salmon based...https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Havent tried them but saw them.and thought they looked interesting and had a good profile. Just mentioning them since theres an interest in a soldier fly based pellet.

Nutrition...Ingredients
    High in multiple proteins (i.e. Whole Salmon - rich in Omega 3 and 6 for healthy skin, scales and fins) Fortified with essential vitamins, amino acids and minerals for a balanced daily diet Easily digestible Naturally palatable - a taste fish crave Slow sinking granule format (1.4-1.6mm) - all fish can feed at their preferred depth Sustainably processed in small batches for quality control and maximum freshness No artifical fillers, colors or perservatives Made in Canada., Bug Bites are made through a unique and sustainable cultivation process. Black Soldier Fly larvae, long known for their nutritional properties, are grown under controlled conditions as they feed off of unconsumed fruits and vegetables that would otherwise go to waste. During the Pre-pupa stage the larvae are collected, dried and mixed with high quality salmon, essential amino acids and minerals to offer a nutritious daily diet.

The price looks reasonable for anyone interested in trying them doesnt look like it will break the bank.

when I saw these and did some digging it looks like you can buy the flies on ebay if you make your own food.

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-27-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234