NADA     NADA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Flake food recommendatons

  1. #16
    SimplyDiscus Sponsor Carolina discus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,373
    iTrader
    25 (100%)

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    For what it is worth, we have tried all major brands of flake in the hatchery and we had the best results from Brine shrimp direct www.brineshrimpdirect.com
    .....the quality of the flake is second to none and the discus take to it almost immediately.....it is made fresh in smaller batches and comes in a variety of types...we have specifically used:
    plankton flake
    brine shrimp flake
    Spirulina and Kelp Flake
    Garlic flake plus

    if you have any questions
    just ask
    thanks
    Regards,
    Eric
    Carolina Discus
    www.carolinadiscus.com

  2. #17
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    298
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Bill

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Love Ken's Flakes, but use them now only in beef mix.

  3. #18
    Registered Member yogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Hollywood, Fl.
    Posts
    1,044
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    If you want information on flake food and ingredients check out this website.
    You can ignore the information on Oscars but his food information is great.

    http://oscarfish.com/
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

  4. #19
    Silver Member kalawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    107
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Shari

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    If you want information on flake food and ingredients check out this website.
    You can ignore the information on Oscars but his food information is great.

    http://oscarfish.com/
    Interesting information...

  5. #20
    Registered Member smsimcik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waco, Tx
    Posts
    334
    iTrader
    3 (100%)
    Real Name
    Steve

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina discus View Post
    For what it is worth, we have tried all major brands of flake in the hatchery and we had the best results from Brine shrimp direct www.brineshrimpdirect.com
    .....the quality of the flake is second to none and the discus take to it almost immediately.....it is made fresh in smaller batches and comes in a variety of types...we have specifically used:
    plankton flake
    brine shrimp flake
    Spirulina and Kelp Flake
    Garlic flake plus

    if you have any questions
    just ask
    thanks
    +1

  6. #21
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    349
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    I'm currently using NLS flake and all my fish like it. Not as much as Prime Reef, but NLS has better ingredients. I treat Prime Reef like potato chips for my fish and only feed it once a week or 2. But my main staples remain Northfin Krill gold and cichlid formula.

  7. #22
    Registered Member latrodectus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    3
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    I use seachem nutridiet flakes: discus formula, marineplus, shrimp, and chlorelia. They all have strong garlic smells, some fish may not like it in the beginning, but will accept them very soon. I like their ingredients and probiotics. Seachem food is relative new i think, not many people use their flakes

  8. #23
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ukiah, Calif
    Posts
    282
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Mike

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The manufacturers may not like this, but I'm not sure that there's much difference between brands of flake foods. Some of them have specific additives, e.g. medication, coloring agents, but the macro nutrient composition is likely similar.

    One real difference between different batches of flake food is the age. Vitamins added to flake food will break down over time. If you buy flake food in bulk, I recommend keeping a small batch out and freezing the rest. That's what I do. I'm most happy when I get batches with gigantic flakes, because that's probably not old stock.

    I put flake food in my tanks for all the dithers, such as German rams or tetras. Over time, I find that discus, and even altum angels, will start to eat them. My primary food is still frozen beefheart. In my experience, nothing put on size like beef. I don't have the "messy" problem other people have reported. My beefheart stays in one chunk pretty much until it's completely consumed.

    Willie
    I go onestep further, I keep my flake food and pellets in the freezer all the time. Take it out at feeding time and put right back in. I use Tropical Brand flakes and pellets

  9. #24
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    27
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    My fish LOVE Ocean Nutrition Discus flakes and Brine Shrimp flakes - esp the brine shrimp flakes

  10. #25
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    334
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Discus Hans Cobalt Flakes make discus grow big fast. The downside is that it is very hard to get (and keep) discus eating these, they prefer other foods. The problem I had is that half the container was crumbs which when fed decrease water quality.

  11. #26
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    43
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sean

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    I also feed my new stenders Hans flake. I orderd 1 pound and the first couple days they didn't eat very well especially the blue flakes which i've read from others. But now they are pirahnas and about take my fingers off on everything i feed them including the blue flakes. I also feed Fdbw,frozen brine shrimp,omega one carnivore and bh.

  12. #27
    MVP Oct.2015 discuspaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,758
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Omega One - nothing compares
    Agree.

  13. #28
    MVP Oct.2015 discuspaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,758
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The manufacturers may not like this, but I'm not sure that there's much difference between brands of flake foods. Some of them have specific additives, e.g. medication, coloring agents, but the macro nutrient composition is likely similar.

    One real difference between different batches of flake food is the age. Vitamins added to flake food will break down over time. If you buy flake food in bulk, I recommend keeping a small batch out and freezing the rest. That's what I do. I'm most happy when I get batches with gigantic flakes, because that's probably not old stock.

    I put flake food in my tanks for all the dithers, such as German rams or tetras. Over time, I find that discus, and even altum angels, will start to eat them. My primary food is still frozen beefheart. In my experience, nothing put on size like beef. I don't have the "messy" problem other people have reported. My beefheart stays in one chunk pretty much until it's completely consumed.

    Willie

    Hard to argue with this - makes sense & I generally agree.

  14. #29
    Homesteader Pardal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Atlantic Beach.FL
    Posts
    1,050
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Julian

    Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

    Talking about flakes, and flakes only . I use Ken's super color flake fish and even shrimp like it, and for Angel's Plus . Spirulina plus. I just want to say only these specifics flakes, work for me, as I try others flakes from Angels Plus ( that fish didn't accept at all , and they were like plastic chips). Same with Kens no all his product will be accept by the fish with the same enthusiasm.
    When it come to pellets, I pick up from John's way back when I visit his Hatchery , the Hikari , Sinking Cichlid Gold ( mini), the tiny is even better but rarely available. wilds Heckels take them with gusto.
    Of course Al's FDBW are like "crack".
    Just one note when it comes to any dry foods , flakes and pellets , is all about freshness, so even good quality food will be rejected if it goes stale.
    Last edited by Pardal; 05-07-2018 at 01:14 AM.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

NADA             AquaticSuppliers.com