ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flake food recommendatons

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Flake food recommendatons

I used to feed Hans flake, but they ended up turning their noses up to it. I feed fdbw from Al with spinach which they love, brine shrimp, frozen blood worms until I read a recent post about them...I found a guy who makes and sells his own flake/pellets through a member here. This guy is really proud of his formula and I learned a lot in the short time we spoke. I should be receiving it tomorrow. I’ll let you know how they like it. He’s into food sourced vitamins(not crushed pill form), the right amount of probiotic, protein, etc. If it’s okay with SD i will post his website for anyone who’s interested.
    Patty

Registered Member

I use omega cichlid flakes my young discus love it more than the cobalts Discus flakes they spit that stuff out so I ended up feeding it to my mixed tanks ... I bought brine shrimp flakes from brine shrimp direct and the the discus ate it right away ... I also feed frozen brine Al’s fdbw and hikari bloodworms tried San Francisco Bay and they were not too fond of it .. I also feed tetra color granules ..once a week I will feed homemade beef heart mix

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I used to feed Hans flake, but they ended up turning their noses up to it. I feed fdbw from Al with spinach which they love, brine shrimp, frozen blood worms until I read a recent post about them...I found a guy who makes and sells his own flake/pellets through a member here. This guy is really proud of his formula and I learned a lot in the short time we spoke. I should be receiving it tomorrow. I’ll let you know how they like it. He’s into food sourced vitamins(not crushed pill form), the right amount of probiotic, protein, etc. If it’s okay with SD i will post his website for anyone who’s interested.
    Patty
    Patty,

Are you referring to Almost Natural fish food?
    I'm feeding three different kinds of that flake once per day and my discus seem to love it.

Ken's

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by xzackly999 View Post
    Patty,

Are you referring to Almost Natural fish food?
    I'm feeding three different kinds of that flake once per day and my discus seem to love it.
    Liz Streithorst told me about Captain Bob’s Fish Food: I got the flake and didn’t know about Bug until just now while looking it up for you. I’ll have to check this out on my next order. My fish love this food.
    Default Captain Bob's Fish Foods
    This is a guy with a real job who makes fish food because he wasn't satisfied with what was being offered on the market. He has all the equipment the big guys have but on a much smaller scale. He can customize an order of a couple lbs. He just made 2 custom orders for me!

He has this new food that I am very high on. He calls it Bug. When I contacted him for details on it this is what he told me:

"Bug uses the Black Soldier Fly Larvae as its main protein source. The rest is : salmon meal ( my own processed Salmon fillets ), dehulled soybean meal, Wheat, Krill, Spirulina, Kelp, Garlic, Paprika, Baby clams, and a host of vitamins: A,B complex, C, D, E, and K. Bug [is]40% protein, 20% fat, 7% ash. Don't worry about the two grains near the top of the list. There's a good reason. I use Soybean because it's 40% protein and a good source of methionone. Wheat is a good full of good carbs and a huge source of Glutamic acid, brain food."

He making Bug right now in powered and granulated form. But has the ability to make it in pelleted or flake form. I got the granules. I was worried because the size of the granules was too big for the Discus' mouths but I needn't have worried. The granules sank to the bottom, the Discus blew on them, they softened up in the water fast and then the Discus went to town on them. Next time I order I may ask him to make them into 1.5mm pellets for me just because I like pellets.

The other food he makes that I depend on is his Teenie Greenie. It is a 1.5mm pellet. I never asked him what was in it. All I know is that the Discus gobble it up when I toss it in. I suppose I could ask him, but if the Discus like it that much it's good enough for me.

This guy is not a marketing wiz. He could use a lesson from Dan. But he DOES make excellent foods because making the best fish food is his passion. http://www.captainbobsfishtales.com/
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Patty

if you search Captain Bob’s Fish Food here, you will find Liz’s thread above.
    Patty

Patty, if you want to try the Bug let me know. I was the one who told Bob about those bugs after I heard a story about them on NPR. When he first made them he only made the powder. If he's making it in granules and pellets now I want to buy some, too.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Patty, if you want to try the Bug let me know. I was the one who told Bob about those bugs after I heard a story about them on NPR. When he first made them he only made the powder. If he's making it in granules and pellets now I want to buy some, too.
    I tried the website but it didn’t show up

I know. He never updates his website. He likes getting his customers by work of mouth. Shoot him an email. He'll get back to you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Here’s his email: captainbobsfood@gmail.com
    I’d be interested in some pellets Liz. All my fish love his flake and my discus are finicky eaters!
    Patty

If all three of us are interested in buying pellets it may be worth it for him to make some up even if he doesn't have it made already.
    Mama Bear

I'm also interested in the pellets, so add me to the list. Thanks
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If all three of us are interested in buying pellets it may be worth it for him to make some up even if he doesn't have it made already.
    I am interested in the pellets.

OK. I'll make the initial contact with him and find out if he has the pellets in stock or if he has to make them for us. I'll let y'all know what he says and you will have to get with him to tell him how much you want and give him your address.

If anyone else wants to try some post to this thread.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

My hand is up too Liz.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast